1976 or 1977 Ford LTD

Steve Hagy

Hi,

For once I actually know what the car that is in the photo is, for the most part.  There has been some debate among the members of the firefighting community as to whether this is a 1976 or 1977 Ford LTD.   Can anyone narrow down the year?  This is a quote from one of the group members that may be of assistance "Looks like probably a '77 LTD due to body color painted (as opposed to silver) bumper filler panels".  As always, I look forward to the replies.  Have a good night.

Steve

Frederick.jpg

Hi,

I didn't realize I had posted this photo before.  Guess I really want it identified.  Using a loupe I can see that there is an LTD emblem on the roof pillar.  So, anything distinctive between a 1976 and a 1977?  Sure do want to know.

Thanks,

Steve

I wish I knew, but I don't. In the mid to late 70s, the cost cutting on new cars in general was reaching absurd levels. The "traditional" yearly changes sometimes went out the window to a degree not seen since the crazy scramble to make more cars of the late 40s. It's entirely possible there isn't any difference.

Back in the 70s, someone wrote into Mechanix Illustrated and asked Tom McCahill "what is the difference between the 1949 and the 1950 Ford?".

"One year".

All kidding aside, there are enough subtle differences between a 1949 and a 1950 Ford that you can tell. I looked at a bunch of pictures of 1976 and 1977 LTDs. Nothing is jumping out at me.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1