17/18 Maxwell king pins

Old buicks 2

1087182868_100_6658(3).JPG.8865d73bb06f132baf83250435eaaccd.JPG

It's been a long time but if memory serves me correctly I removed the brass oiler, nut and washers and found something that screwed into the oiler hole and beat the snot out of it! I did it on two axles and one would not come out no matter how hard I beat it until I heated the heck out of the axle end. The king pin is tapered with the fat end being on the bottom and has no other locking feature other than this taper.

Howard Dennis

311602718_Page12-Copy(3).jpg.e7469571660daf9792e6e440df216a26.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The axle that I am working on for a friend is in really good shape.   There isn't any play in the spindles but the real thing I wanted to do was press them out so I can clean out the oil passage ways.   He has been working on this project for over 40 years and I'm just trying to help move it along a bit faster.

• Like 2

We used a shop press with a special receiver on the bottom to support the spindle assembly when the king pin comes loose.   Didn't have to heat the axle where the taper is but we did turn the nut down down flush with the top of the king pin.   The press we used is a 75 ton, but they came right out with little pressure.   You may have to head the axle with a rosebud tip if they are a little stubborn.