Rebuilding Steering Gear Box 42 LC

lincolnmatthews

Anybody ever remove there gearbox? As I understand (maybe incorrectly) that the shaft from the steering wheel is one piece all the way into the gear box with no connection joint. Is this correct as I see no way to get the car high enough to slide it out of the tube without a car lift?? Seems like a ridiculously stupid design.

I found in one of my old Chilton's where you could service the slop by removing shims, therefore not removing the box. I had thought about removing it and maybe sending to Lares in CA for a refurbishment, but not if the whole shaft has to go with it.

Anybody ever had there gear box rebuilt by them? I have an awful lot slop in my gear box and need to do something. I may have just resign to the fact that I may just try going the Chilton's route and try removing shims while in the car!

Why I didn't do this a year ago when I had the engine out! 

Thanks for any help

I did replace the steering gear box on my '41 Zephyr, and it was a bear to get out.  Yes, the steering shaft is attached to the steering box.  You have to elevate the vehicle up some 4 feet in order to remove it from the car.  After removing the steering wheel and associated parts inside the car, you can then unbolt the steering box from the frame and the associated linkage to slid it out.  I had paid an outfit some $900 to send me a rebuilt unit which they did, but their rebuilding was terrible and had problems.  I had to remove it again and then work on replacing the internal shims in order to get the play out of it and adjust it so it steers properly.  I should have gotten one from Lares properly rebuilt.  It's difficult to rebuilt it on the vehicle, you really need to remove it and put it in a vise as those shims (paper) have to be properly stacked to get the clearances you need.  I'd recommend just sending it to Lares as you probably have some worn parts after 80 years to get it working properly.   If you think shims are all you need to get it going, you can get them from Chris Harrel at Boos Harrel Lincoln.  You also need to seal it up as you will need 90 weight oil to fill it once it's working.  And they stuff does leak with little effort so sealing it up can be challenging!  If you ship out yours as a core for rebuilding you can put a piece of PVC pipe over the long shaft and secure it for UPS shipping.  Not sure if Lares requires a core or they just rebuild yours.  Good luck with it!  An old trick was to fill the steering box with axle grease due to leakage of the 90 wt. oil which is a lousy thing to do and makes it hard to steer.  

Edited by Ray500 (see edit history)

Have you made sure that the play is in the steering box by disconnecting the drag link, locking the steering wheel and try moving the pitman arm? I do a quick check on play by jacking up one wheel and have someone move the wheel from side to side and in and out to see where the play is.

If the play is in the steering box, you probably need a new worm and sector, so having the box rebuilt professionally is your best bet.

Thanks you guys! It's definitely the gear box, sounds like

I really need a 4 post lift! There's no way that I want to work under the car 4ft in the air!

I don't think fiddling with shims in the car is the way to go, although the service book says to remove shims on the worm gear (attached to the steering shaft). But if that doesn't fix it then they say to pull sector shaft and re-shim at this point it would be to difficult in the car as you guys said.

Once disconnecting everything under the car and removing the steering wheel will the shaft just slide out?

The steering shaft is internally connected to the steering gears.  You will need to remove the entire steering gear box and the steering shaft.  When I took mine out it was a challenge as I don't have a power lift either.  I was able to barely get it off the garage floor enough to clear things to slide it out under the car.  These cars were meant to be constructed and not reconstructed!   You might have to drive it or have it towed to a garage, have the gearbox removed, send it to Lares for repair, then reverse the whole process.  Otherwise you might rent some industrial jacks that can raise it up enough to get the steering gear unit out of the vehicle. Yes, it's dangerous doing this without a proper lift, so be careful!  If you do take it to a garage to use their lift to get it up high enough to slide out the gearbox, just prep the car by removing the steering wheel and associated components prior to having it towed.  Then once you get to the garage all you'll have to do is disconnect the pittman arm and the side bolts holding it to the frame.  You will probably need a "pickle fork" tool to separate the pittman arm or a puller, that part is easy.  Then once you get it out of the vehicle you can tow it back to your house until you can send the gear box for rebuilding.  And once you get it back prior to reinstalling it, put it on the workbench and make sure it's all set to go by making sure the clearances have been properly set before you fill it with the 90 weight oil and put it back on the car.  I had to play the adjustment on top of the gearbox to get it as easy and smooth as I wanted it to be.  Once it repaired and returned to you it should be fine.  I did rebuild my entire front end on my '41 so everything steering wise works easy now.  Remember we don't have power steering, just that big steering wheel to do our turning so it needs to be smooth in operations.  And most important make sure it doesn't leak oil before you reinstall it on the vehicle.  Fill it with the 90 Wt. oil on the bench and let it sit for a while working it some to see if it's sealed up.  I had to use some silicon sealant to make sure mine didn't leak!  It's all in the end plate of the steering gear box and that's also where the paper shims are used.  If it's properly rebuilt it should be fine!   That's why some would fill the steering gear box with wheel bearing grease that won't leak out, but that's a lousy lube and the steering won't be easy or smooth!   Good luck with it!

Edited by Ray500 (see edit history)