1941 Olds 66 Tire Pressure

40mopar

This question actually applies to any vintage car converted to radial tires, but it's my '41 Olds that prompted the question.

What tire pressure should I use?  The recommended pressure in the owner's manual is obviously for the old bias ply, tube-type tire, but what do you do if it's been converted (by previous owner) to radials with tubes?

Thanks

• Like 1

I’ve just installed today 4 new bias- looking radials from Coker on my 41 Oldsmobile 78 sedan. The sidewall script states “ maximum 41 lbs “. Bias ply tires recommended pressure in the shop manual is 26-28. I chose 34 lbs knowing has to be much more than bias but not too high that will ride too stiff. In a test drive feels fine and will leave there until someone who knows better advises to change. You may be interested in checking my post about the mounting of the tires earlier today. 

• Like 1

34 Sounds fine to me. I wouldn't run any less than that.

Back when there were a lot of daily driver cars around with radials that came with bias originally, the rule was sidewall maximum. Sidewall maximum back then was usually either 32 or 35 PSI. Even more would be fine if you want. If it feels squishy put in more.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)