1951 Pontiac Chieftain 6cyl 3spd 2 door DELUXE

Picked up this guy a few months ago. A real survivor and the plan is to bring her back on the road for now, then perhaps restore in a couple years with modern drive line. But for now I just want to get her back on the road. 

So far we rebuilt the MC, replaced the wheel cylinders, and some lines, brakes work good. We dropped tank, cleaned it out and installed new sender. Rebuilt the carb and the fuel pump as well as installed a back up 6 Volt electric pump. Engine purrs like a singer sewing machine.

We got to replace some floor pans refresh the interior, seat covers and new door cards and carpet. She had the original rims and bias tires which we swapped out for a virtually new set of 225/60 R15 on some old rusty Cragars.

She runs drives and stops now, will be working on pans this winter.

new 51.jpg

new 51 A.jpg

new 51 e.jpg

new 51 f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A diamond in the rough! It looks like you've got a good car to work with. I'm nearly finished with my '51 4 door Chieftain I've been working on for 2 1/2 years. I've done a frame off restoration,everything new or rebuilt. It's been fun,but I'm ready to be finished. Check out my build on this forum.

• Like 1

A good looking project car! I’m betting that a little 000 steel wool and elbow grease on the grill and it will look a lot better, not perfect, but better. Hopefully you will give the original drivetrain a fair shake before a decision is made as to swap to a modern one. There’s something to be said about the feeling of driving history.

• Like 6