1941 International Woodie vinyl for roof question

David Bruce

Ever since LeBaron Bonney closed its doors the 66"Cobra Grain  material is nowhere to be found. Restoration Specialties & Supply, www.restorationspecialties.com, 814-467-9842 has a roof material called "Smooth Grain Black"  part number SMG-30 that is 80" wide that should work in your application. They will provide a sample if you ask for it.

Hello David, do you have an International woodie and a Chevy Suburban woodie also? You seem to like the difficult restorations. I have been down this road looking for roof fabric for my car. The suggestion by 46 woodie is probably your best and maybe only option. If you find some other fabric that you like better but is not wide enough, you could have it seamed by an upholsterer or SMS Auto Fabric in Oregon. Do two seams with one wider center section and narrower side sections. I was very hesitant to do business with SMS because I have heard so many stories of their bad customer service. 

I have seen what Tom is suggesting, where someone purchased the 54" Cobra Grain and seamed it and it looks pretty nice. The problem arises if you did this to a '41 thru '48 Ford Wagons and want it judged. They would deduct points for an incorrect roof. I have seen one seam down the middle and two seams about 12" in from the rain gutters. The two seamed roof looks a little nicer to me. Oh by the way the Cobra Grain material is a heavier gauge than the SMG 80 from Restoration Specialties. Any good auto trim shop can  seam the material, don't go to SMS.