Pontiac Forums

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Does anyone know if there is a Pontiac forum, similar to this one? I would like to find one, because as much as I like Buicks, I like Pontiacs as well. Basically same car ya know. Its just that I like some models/years of Pontiacs better tham Buicks of the same year/model. I guess my favorite Pontiacs are the 1971-1973 Pontiac Grand Safari Wagon, 1971-1973 Pontiac Grand Ville, 1959-1960 Pontiac Safari wagon/Bonneville convertible and the 1972 Pontiac Luxury LeMans 4-door hardtop sedan and the 1967-1969 Pontiac Firebird convertibles. Basically I like all Chevrolets, Pontiacs and Buicks of the 50s-mid 70s, not really to much of a Oldsmobile fan, except maybe for the 1956s, the 1959s. And the 1972 Oldsmobile 98. Not really much on liking Fords, except the 1971-1973 LTD Brougham 4dr hardtops and the 1971-1974 Ford Country SquiresI have found other Pontiac sites, but none as active as this Buick site. Or does anyone know of a way we can get a Pontiac club started here? I know that there are a lot of Buick fans/owners also like Pontiacs. Any help appreciated. <BR>Tony<BR>--------------------<BR>1972 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4-door hardtop<BR>1989 Honda Accord DX 2-door coupe

Shaffer, you are likely to find some disagreement with the statement about Pontiacs and Buicks being basically the same cars! While I would not dispute your statement from the late 1970's onward, this was definitely not true in the '50's, '60's, or even the early '70's period. While the GM cars were becoming more "corporatized" by the early 1970's, each GM division still had engineering responsibility for its cars. The Pontiac 455 engine, the Olds 455 engine, and the Buick 455 engine, for example, were all very different. While GM cars often shared transmission components and inner body structures during the 1950's and 1960's, each division maintained unique chassis and engine designs.<P>I like Pontiacs also, especially the '59 through '62 models. In general, the 1960's seemed to be Pontiac's "Golden Era". If you've seen Pontiac's current 75th Anniversary ads on television, you'll see that the heritage the company seems most proud of is the '60's cars. In fact, most collector interest in Pontiacs seems concentrated on those years. In contrast, there is strong collector interest in Buicks from virtually every decade.<P>You should check out the website for the Pontiac-Oakland Club International. When I have looked, I have not seen a discussion forum like this, although there may be something that is accessible only by club members. I think that Buick people are really benefiting from the fact that this is an "open" forum. It's easy access means that we see a lot of interesting topics here.

Guest Shaffer

You are right. I should have worded it different about them being basically the same. I actually meant being a General Motors car. Thanks for the info on that site.

Guest Shaffer

I was hoping to find a Pontiac forum like this Buick forum. Also, I am not 100%, but I think someone in my family said that a Buick engine is the only GM engine with the distributor on the front.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. I have alreadt visited that last one. It is OK, but it seems "dead". I woould like to see a Pontiac forum as active as this Buick club. That site on the post before this last one is a pretty good one. May be something there. Thanks again.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the one on classical Pontiac. I have been there before and even posted want ads, but never knew there was a forum there. I finally figured it out. It is a fairly active site. Thanks to everyone for their help.