'46 Continental Cabriolet : Color for the floor pan, inside the boot & door skin and chassis rails

The Custodian

Most of them I've ever seen are painted black in the undercarriage.  I think any interior would be the same as the main color of the vehicle.  Doors, under dash, floors and such usually match the exterior color unless someone does a customer paint job and then it could be anything.  My '41 Zephyr coupe was undercoated sometime before I got it which protects the underside from harsh weather like the northern states where they salt the roads in the winter and that's very corrosive. I wouldn't remove that unless I did a full off body restoration which mine didn't need.  For those who live in the snow states the undercoating keeps the chassis and sheet metal from rusting, even in wet climates.  It depends on whether or not one actually drives in weather where the car is exposed to the elements.  You might get an as-built report if Ford has one.  I have mine and it tells about paint and what the vehicle is equipped with when made.  Ford lost some of the as-builts in a fire many years ago, but still has a lot of them. Check it out!

Edited by Ray500 (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Ray500 said:

Most of them I've ever seen are painted black in the undercarriage.  I think any interior would be the same as the main color of the vehicle.  Doors, under dash, floors and such usually match the exterior color unless someone does a customer paint job and then it could be anything.  My '41 Zephyr coupe was undercoated sometime before I got it which protects the underside from harsh weather like the northern states where they salt the roads in the winter and that's very corrosive. I wouldn't remove that unless I did a full off body restoration which mine didn't need.  For those who live in the snow states the undercoating keeps the chassis and sheet metal from rusting, even in wet climates.  It depends on whether or not one actually drives in weather where the car is exposed to the elements.  You might get an as-built report if Ford has one.  I have mine and it tells about paint and what the vehicle is equipped with when made.  Ford lost some of the as-builts in a fire many years ago, but still has a lot of them. Check it out!

Thanks Ray for the valuable input. I need to paint the car immediately and was totally lost with the authenticity bit.

Just to reconfirm, even the inside of the door , where the window glass is, will be same as the exterior color? 

And since the exterior is a metallic color, will all these inner sides be lacquered/ clear coated ? 

Please advise.

Regards,

Dev

Most all restorations I've seen have the same color inside and out from the factory.  Dashboards can be a bit different, but everything else follows color patterns inside the vehicles.  If you're not going to enter the vehicle into judging contests, not that important.  But traditionally I would keep the color scheme the same.  To me that will keep the value of it in coming years.  We've seen enough 'rat-rods' of more modern day ideas, but we love these cars for their originality and looks.  To me that will also be the attraction of future generations who will also want to collect these cars for their uniqueness and looks.  Restoration means just that......restore it to original!   Don't forget to send photos when you're finished!   

6 hours ago, Ray500 said:

Most all restorations I've seen have the same color inside and out from the factory.  Dashboards can be a bit different, but everything else follows color patterns inside the vehicles.  If you're not going to enter the vehicle into judging contests, not that important.  But traditionally I would keep the color scheme the same.  To me that will keep the value of it in coming years.  We've seen enough 'rat-rods' of more modern day ideas, but we love these cars for their originality and looks.  To me that will also be the attraction of future generations who will also want to collect these cars for their uniqueness and looks.  Restoration means just that......restore it to original!   Don't forget to send photos when you're finished!   

I echo the same belief about restoration. It must be authentic to every detail. 

You and other members will appreciate my quest to find the correct Skyline Blue color for the car. It's unfortunate that I cannot find the formulation as yet for the lighter version.

Thanks again for your advice , I will follow the same and share images soon. 

Remember, NAPA paint stores can custom mix your colors if you have any samples.  They use a scanner into their computer and the computer mixes the paint.  That doesn't mean it's exact, but it will be as the sample you submit.  Taking old paint samples can be problematic in repainting the entire vehicle.  You might want to have them mix a small batch and put it in a spray can so you can check it out better before you commit to a particular color mix.  There are paint charts around for all different models, and that might be your best bet to get it close as possible.  And after all, when someone sees your finished project they won't have another exact one like it to compare, and even if they do who's to say which one is correct.  Check also with Chris Harrel at Boos Harrel Lincoln who stocks parts as he might have a color chart.  

30 minutes ago, 19tom40 said:

TCP Global ( https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/ ) has many of the old formulas in PPG paint. They also can mix a modern equivalent that will appear close to the original. Did you check wit them?

Yes, I did. I have been corresponding with Jon for many weeks now. He has never made this color, any of the two varients but has old formulation. One has to order a quart minimum to know what it's like ! 

I have been interacting with Tcpglobal for many years and always had a pleasant solution. Jim Wells ( now retired) use to go out of his way to get the correct formulation and quickly. He helped with a rare color for '28 McLaughlin Buick phaeton and Reo flying cloud ( a custom ordered one).

Things are different now as their policy has evolved , for worse, for all collectors , enthusiasts and restorers. Sad.

I read about Tower paints in Oshkosh WI, PPG , but can't find the exact name .  Any help will be appreciated.

Dev

On 9/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, Ray500 said:

Remember, NAPA paint stores can custom mix your colors if you have any samples.  They use a scanner into their computer and the computer mixes the paint.  That doesn't mean it's exact, but it will be as the sample you submit.  Taking old paint samples can be problematic in repainting the entire vehicle.  You might want to have them mix a small batch and put it in a spray can so you can check it out better before you commit to a particular color mix.  There are paint charts around for all different models, and that might be your best bet to get it close as possible.  And after all, when someone sees your finished project they won't have another exact one like it to compare, and even if they do who's to say which one is correct.  Check also with Chris Harrel at Boos Harrel Lincoln who stocks parts as he might have a color chart.  

Thanks Ray for the advice. There's very little of the original paint left on the car as she has been painted in other color.

As for taking a paint chip to a paint company is difficult as the spectrophotometer can only read the RGB values as present. 

You are right about the correct shade can only be questioned by an expert but I want to do the perfect way.

I did write to Chris Harrell but has no clue about the color bit.

I have been trying to discuss this with Ed at color-it , hopefully something should come up. 

6 hours ago, The Custodian said:

Many thanks for the help, this information is crucial.

Are there any details about the pedals, handbrake lever and the splash shields? 

Please help as it's extremely urgent.

Regards,

Dev

This information comes from Authenticity Manual for 40-48 Lincoln Continental by LC owners club. I have hard copy of this document. I can make scan for you.

Przemek M.

9 hours ago, Przemek M said:

This information comes from Authenticity Manual for 40-48 Lincoln Continental by LC owners club. I have hard copy of this document. I can make scan for you.

Przemek M.

Hi, I have ordered a copy of the same but haven't received for last 3 weeks.

I will appreciate if you can check on the above queries. I will be painting the car tomorrow hence the rush.

Please do guide me on the color of the bonnet hinges.

Dev

If you look on published color codes for 1948 you'll see a Grotto Blue and Regal Blue as factory colors.  That doesn't mean your paint was included as it might have been a special order.  Not sure if the factory actually had other colors, and it could be your vehicle was painted afterwards some 75 years ago.  Unless you're restoring the car for full inspection and certification as original, you're gonna need some guidance from the certification bureau as to what's acceptable.  An no matter what, even if you found some odd color your vehicle was painted with, trying to match it perfectly in today's world will be a challenge as those color charts fade and the exact formulas of paint companies of that day are probably not available!   Get the color as close as possible, paint the sheet metal internally the same as outside as cars were done in those days.  And remember, they didn't use clear coats on the paint, it was either lacquer or enamel with probably 2-3 coats and of course proper primers to keep the paint on the vehicle.