Correct Door Trim Upholstery for 1941 Series 40-A Special

Grant Z

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has photos (or knowledge) of the correct door-trim upholstery design for a Series 40-A Special 1941.

The reason I ask for further photos, or knowledge of correct door-trim design, is because I'm planning a complete restoration of the interior of my Series 40-A Special Business Coupe in mid-2023 (Winter here in Australia). I've just ordered (and paid for) many yards of Tan/Brown Bedford Cord & Tan Broadcloth from SMS Auto Fabrics in Portland, OR.

I've found this image on a Mecum auction page (https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0116-230878/1941-buick-deluxe-sport-coupe/).

This is possibly the only Series 40-A Special I've found images of online which shows what a door-trim looks like and I noticed is is different to the designs of other 1941 Buicks (Series 40-B, Super, Century, Roadmaster & Limited cars). The attached photo is from a car that was advertised on the Mecum page as a genuine 12,800 mile car, and had 1 owner for 48 years, so it's fair to assume the car has not been restored and is correct.

The design in the attached image appears to be a single raised 1/2 in. bead of cloth which runs horizontally just below the quarter vent winder and door handle, but above the window winder. There is another 3 raised 1/2 in. beads (side-by-side) 5-6 inches below this but immediately above the arm rest. There is also approximately 6 inches of carpet along the bottom of the door-trim with a stainless strip separating the carpet from the cloth.

My car was re-upholstered in leather back in 1990 (the year after in came to Australia). Originally the car had Bedford Cord according to the Body Tag (Trim Code 900 - Tan & Gray Bedford Cord). The interesting thing is that similar stitching appears to have been done on my door-trims as in the attached photo, and there is carpet along the bottom 6 inches of my doors with a stainless trim piece separating the carpet from the leather.

Does anyone know for certain what a Series 40-A Special door trim should look like?

Thanks for your time, Grant Zippel

Door Trim Close-up.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks Neil, I had not discovered that car online. It's the same color, but a different car (dash is painted body color but should be wood-grain). It does appear that its vinyl along the bottom of the door-trim instead of carpet, but I'm not sure what the original would have been - I just assumed carpet. Do you know?

Many thanks again Neil. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

A good reference material for pictures may be a 1941 Buick brochure. 

I doubt a brochure would show the lowest-end car available (the Series 40-A [mine] is the cheapest '41 Buick offered). Thanks for your response though. It's appreciated.

Hello Grant

Another suggestion, you could reach out to Bill Anderson or Doug Seybold. I don’t know if either of them restored an “A”, but they may have some original resources. 

3 hours ago, Grant Z said:

It does appear that its vinyl along the bottom of the door-trim instead of carpet, but I'm not sure what the original would have been - I just assumed carpet. Do you know?

I don't know.  I was just searching for images online, and this is what came up.  My car is a Super (51) and has a rubber floor mat in front (correct), and no carpet or other trim on the bottom of the door panels.  I'm thinking that the 40A, being a less expensive model, would not have likely had carpet in front or carpet on the bottom of the door panels.  But that's just a guess.  You're getting good advice to check with Doug Seybold and Bill Anderson.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

Hello Grant

Another suggestion, you could reach out to Bill Anderson or Doug Seybold. I don’t know if either of them restored an “A”, but they may have some original resources. 

That's a good idea. I've been emailing Bill Anderson recently getting advice on Engine turning my dash panels, so I need to ask him. Doug Seybold of course doesn't have email, but I could phone him. Many thanks.