1955-1957 Fuel Pump Failures

CT Car Guy

I decided to find out why all of the new fuel pumps I and others are getting are defective.  I took a "pre-tested" pump I put in last year that lasted about 10 minutes, and took it apart.

1. The bottom bowl was clean and the diaphragm looked new. No debris and the valves look good.

2. Opened up the pump portion and the bowl was clean and the diaphragm was like new.

3. I pulled the pump diaphragm out and found the area behind it full of oil.

4. When I removed the diaphragm, the oil seal stayed in the pump. I am not sure if these use a retainer to keep the spring and seal on the shaft, but this did not have one.

5. The oil seal had silver colored residue.

My preliminary opinion is that the oil seals fail and oil collected behind the diaphragm resulting it being unable to flex. I also think there is a problem with either the shaft or lever metal. I should not have been able to remove the diaphragm without removing the lever.  I did note that prior to disassembly, the lever hardly moved by hand. Thoughts?

Photo Jul 01, 3 08 23 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 01, 3 08 49 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 01, 3 09 12 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 01, 3 26 15 PM.jpg

• Like 1

Update: I was considering rebuilding this pump but unless I am mistaken, there is supposed got be 2 clips that need to be removed in order to get the pivot pin out. I took some pictures and it seems there are no clips? I tried pressing the shaft out but it does not seem to move much.This does not seem rebuildable. I may have to find a US made pump. Anyone know who makes one? 

Photo Jul 02, 12 05 45 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 02, 12 06 18 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 02, 12 06 55 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 02, 12 07 18 PM.jpg

I've never needed to rebuild my pump yet but I keep a couple of spares just in case, one is even NOS. Mine are OEM, I think AC pumps. Mine also have glass bowls on them. They would appear easy to rebuild if quality parts are available.

I would just look for an OEM pump to buy or rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...