A/C vent eyeball advice

Electra63

I'm in need of replacing or re-chroming the eyeball vents from my 63 Electra.

I can't find any new ones specifically stated as being replacements for my car but there are plenty of similar ones listed for Chevys and other models. 

I know that many GM parts were interchangeable.   Does anyone know if this is the case for the eyeball vents and if so which models were interchangeable with the Electra for this item ? 

To me it looks like the OD was the same even if the internal louvre/fin geometry differed a bit between models ?

My suspicion is that ALL of those valves are the same ones.  In a few cases, there might be some model year specifics as to slat arrangements and shapes, but the total item should be interchangeable.  Just my gut suspicion.

NOW, if they are indeed interchangeable, the repro Chevy (or similar repro vendors) vendors only know that it fits THEIR cars, not others, although it can.  THEY only know what their catalog states.  No more, no less.

In the realm of GM Parts, back then each division had their own section of number sequences.  If the part was originated by Chevrolet, it had one 7-digit number sequence, with the same part number appearing in the OIds, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy pikup truck parts book, etc.  Perhaps @rocketraider can research this for us?

Seems like the earlier model year valves were actuallychromed metal, as the later ones were chromed plastic?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks NTX5467

After removing the units from the dash, disassembling them and cleaning up the chrome I found that the tarnishing was only superficial. So I'm going to keep the two original eyeballs.

I'm just in the process of replacing the felt strips that hold them in place as the old felt had deteriorated and they were loose in the casings. Then I'll re-install.

Thanks for your comment.  I tend to agree with you.   If I needed to replace I'd probably buy a pair that look (almost) the same and test fit them. I'm guessing the designs are very similar as far as the OD which is the critical dimension for interchangeability. 

• Thanks 2