1920's 1930's 8 Cyl Delco Remy Distributor Cap What car is it 4?

jpeg1

Hi. I have a Delco Remy Distributor Cap that is huge. It is a twin ignition. The only markings on it is Delco Remy and a Number 2. Is there any where I can look up what car this cap goes to? Any help would be appreciated. I can email pictures if needed. Thanks! JW

The Twin Ignition 8 Nash system used Autolite components. If this is a Delco-Remy cap with 16 plug wire holes, two coil wire connections and vertical plug wire connections, it may be V-16 Cadillac, 1932 -1937. A brown cap would be an original or period replacement. Black is generally aftermarket. Unfortunatley they have a nasty habit of carbon tracking between the two coil connections inside the cap.

Does this sound like what you have?

Jon Lee

The wonderful photo that Buickplus has posted is, I believe, a 1930 - 31 engine which used the flat top cap and routed the wires down and out of site within the V. In 1932 Cadillac changed to a more conventional cap that probably worked better but lacked the asthetic appeal of the earlier style. This style continued throught the end of the overhead valve V-16 in 1937. The later (1938-40) L-head V-16 did indeed use two distributors and two coils. The caps were a conventional DR100 that fit most 8 cylinder GM engines through the mid-fifties.

Mark, on the Studebaker, while the cap uses two coil conections, doesn't it stick with a single set of plugs and thus 8 plug wire holes? Maybe that is what the unidentified cap is, and I was assuming it had 16 plug wire connectors.

Jon Lee

Jon, yes the Studebaker cap uses 2 coil towers and 8 plug towers. Studebaker used the Delco-Remy model 668A distributor. This is the style cap I thought the original poster of this discussion was asking about, maybe I am wrong.

Another car that comes to mind is the McFarland, I saw one only once, it was a six cylinder model. But, what impressed me was that it had two plugs per cylinder. I did not get a good look at the the distributor or ignition, a lot of people crowded around that open hood. That roadster looked just as good under the hood as the rest of the car did. Anyway, did the 8 cylinder McFarland's have 2 plugs per cylinder and twin coils? That would make for a big cap.

Here is a picture of the Studebaker cap, with a burned coil tower showing. This is a spare distributor, I did not burn it up, got it this way.

http://www.softcom.net/users/huston/distributorcap.jpg

McFarlan Twin Valve six has coil for one bank of plugs and magneto for the other. Nash dual ignition cap would have sixteen plug lead towers.

Guest stude8

To "jpeg1":

The cap in the image you posted is Delco Remy #825430, it was used on Delco Distributors 668a and 668C. These were used by Studebaker President 8 and Pierce Arrow 8's from 1928 to 1931. The rotor drive was a notch type on 668A and "D" shape on 668C but caps were the same.

There was a limited version of the same cap that had different base keying to the distributor body, they were not under cut the same and were supposedly for a Lincoln model? I bought one by mistake once but they are very rare.

What is even better is in the 1950's Mallory fitted the same cap to a high performance after market distributor and they ran production in a bright Maroon plastic. You see those once in a while at Hershey. Stude8

• 8 years later...
Guest carpartjim
thanks everone for your posts. Now the real question. What is it worth? Once again any help is appreciated.

Hi, what became of the cap marked 825430?

• 8 years later...
On 3/8/2003 at 5:36 PM, Mark Huston said:

Jon, yes the Studebaker cap uses 2 coil towers and 8 plug towers. Studebaker used the Delco-Remy model 668A distributor. This is the style cap I thought the original poster of this discussion was asking about, maybe I am wrong.

Another car that comes to mind is the McFarland, I saw one only once, it was a six cylinder model. But, what impressed me was that it had two plugs per cylinder. I did not get a good look at the the distributor or ignition, a lot of people crowded around that open hood. That roadster looked just as good under the hood as the rest of the car did. Anyway, did the 8 cylinder McFarland's have 2 plugs per cylinder and twin coils? That would make for a big cap.

Here is a picture of the Studebaker cap, with a burned coil tower showing. This is a spare distributor, I did not burn it up, got it this way.

http://www.softcom.net/users/huston/distributorcap.jpg

Hi Mark , I believe you are correct as this distributor, a Delco - Remy 668A is on my 1928/29 Studebaker 131” State Tourer/Roadster with the FB motor.

FYI, I have recently had conversations with Shawn in relation to this topic in an attempt to establish if there are still any suppliers that are re manufacturing the serviceable parts for these units.

C21D8A75-656F-4ACF-945F-EE77BB8247FE.thumb.jpeg.da35dafb6e9e3311d6412c3fda6dc46e.jpeg3F061E86-F210-45C4-8AB6-0931A2175CA6.thumb.jpeg.424644588a7a1f4b66882052f16baead.jpeg