1927 Dodge Transmission Question

Ray Hubbard

1927 Dodge Coup 124 with an "H" pattern transmission.  There is a black threaded cap on the passenger floor side that connects to a post that has a tube that runs down to the top of the transmission.  Is this an air vent or oil filler tube? If not a filler tube where do I add the oil?  Also, how do I check the oil level?  I have several Dodge manuals but none of them explain this basic information.  See photo the cap in photo is right above the floor mat.

image.jpeg

You will have to take the floor boards out or get under the car. The filler should be on the right side of the transmission, drain on the bottom. 

If you have the 1914-1927 Mechanics' Instruction Manual, it was updated as time went by. It should have information on the latest models. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

Thanks for your feedback, however I have both the book Mechanics'  Instruction Manual and also the DVD which includes additional info.  Both tell you how to remove, drain, or clean the transmission.  They do not tell you how to add oil or where exactly to look to check the oil level or mention the purpose of tube on the front floor of the passenger side.