1931 Chevy Headlight Switch

TedG

The headlight switch function on my 1931 Chevy Independence is operated by the dash knob to an L shaped shaft that inserts into a slot on the side of the assembly. It has become stiff and as a result the shaft end keeps pulling out of the slot. Any way to free this up or need I source a replacement switch? Seemingly difficult to source a replacement given it's a 91 year old part. Can I retrofit a universal replacement? 

I have a 32 chevy , same set up . Spray some contact cleaner around the  sliding part 'keepworking . It will work lose 'the grease gets hard.

Even with the contact spray application the shaft slips out once it enters the headlight area. If i take one finger under the dash and hold it in the headlights will light up. 

I’m confused by your description of your switch. The dash knob has a brass shaft that slides through a ferrule on the face of the dash that helps hold the switch bracket in place with a nut. On the end of the brass shaft is a piece of music wire that goes through a small rotating drum that is fastened to the arm of the light switch and that wire is held in place by a set screw on the end of the rotating drum. The switch needs to be in the off position and the knob fully in with the wire passing through the hole in the side of the drum, then the set screw in the end of the drum it tightened holding the music wire tight. When you pull the knob, the arm rotates on the face of the switch to the first position, running, dash, and cowl lights (if equipped). Pulling the knob out one more notch gives all the same plus headlights. Minus the cowl lights on some. I don’t understand what shaft is actually slipping out on your switch. If it’s the arm with the rotating drum then the switch needs to be removed as the Bakelite face is either cracked or not being held in with the bend over tabs.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)