84 LeSabre original equipment question

Guest LeSabre Nut

Guest LeSabre Nut

I am wondering what was the original tire (brand, etc.) that was put on the 84 LeSabre. I do not have a brochure from that date to look at. Does anyone out there have that information? Appreciate your help.

At that point in time, the tires would have been "M+S" "all season" rated tires. Just as in earlier times, GM was still using pretty much Uniroyals on most of their mainstsream vehicles. The self-sealing tire option was Uniroyal Royal Seal, as I recall, that had a wider white sidewall too. I highly suspect that some variation of Uniroyal Tiger Paw would have been the OEM spec tire (P205/75R-15?).

The other issue is the "GM Tire Performance Criteria" number that was on the OEM tires from the factory. It didn't matter who built the tire, they would perform to the GM specs for that particular vehicle. This started in '75 with what I called the "GM Spec" radials and their unique tread all season tread design. What the TPC number would have been for the tires on that particular LeSabre might be difficult to find at this date -- unless someone has an original spare tire in their car. In the replacement end of things, the TPC number was not used.

Hope this helps. Whatever that OEM production tire might have been, finding that same tire today would be extremely difficult as tread designs and names could change yearly every since then.

In those earlier times, the all season tread designs resulted in several changes. First thing was that rotations now had to be done every 6000 miles (to keep the chunkier tread wearing flat). Second thing was that the alignment "toe-in" spec became basically 0 inches. In many cases, the toe-in spec was now quoted in "degrees" instead of "inches" as the alignment machines became computerized and more accurate.

NTX5467

It might have been possible to order the vehicle with a full size spare that matched the other tires, but the comment on the space saver spare is accurate.

The owner's manual materials would also have information (as to brand) of the tires on the vehicle (tire warranty information) also, just as the information on the space saver spare's brand would be there too. Sometimes there were some indiscretions of the wrong brand's tire warranty information getting in the car, but it was reasonably rare unless the tires were swapped at the dealership.

The minimum tire size spec for the vehicle (usually the smallest tire approved for the vehicle) would be listed on the tire pressure decal (usually on the driver's side door frame area). The owner's manual might also list the sizes for the respective models too, along with pressure recommendations and rotation patterns.

Enjoy!

NTX5467