46 Lincoln signal light circuit wiring diagram

46 Lincoln EFN

Hello all , 

I’m trying  to troubleshoot my signal light system .  I’ve repaired the signal switch. 
but I just don’t understand how it’s wired in with the flasher .  It worked, then it didn’t and now it still doesn’t . The “boos” wiring diagram and the Lincoln diagram doesn’t really break this system down.  ItS prolly simple but I never dealt with this before.    Does any one have Experience with troubleshooting this system? 

Thanks for any help, tips  or tricks available . 
Everett  

Edited by 46 Lincoln EFN (see edit history)

• 46 Lincoln EFN changed the title to 46 Lincoln signal light circuit wiring diagram

Is this a factory system in your Lincoln?

Does it share bulbs with the brake lights in the back?

What is it doing wrong? Not coming on at all? Coming on but not flashing?

To answer your question, power goes through one wire to a flasher terminal, and from another flasher terminal through another wire to the switch, just like on the diagram you posted.

If there is a third pin on the flasher, it is normally used for the flash indicator located on the dash or signal switch housing. It needs to be there for cars that have only one dash indicator bulb that flashes for both directions.

Thank you .bloo ,

I cleaned the fuse holder and then got clean  power to flasher  but the fuse blew when I tried to signal,  I’m assuming I tryied the right .  So I have a short somewhere.   originally the left worked but the right did not  , I’ll refuse and try the left again with  clean contacts  and then see if the right side has the short.  

thank you for replying  and confirming that the  diagram is correct. 

Everett 

• Like 1

It is correct as far as the flasher goes. As for the rest of it... it depends. It depends on whether your car's turn signals are sharing bulbs with the brake lights or not. If it does NOT share the bulbs, the rest is very likely to be exactly like the diagram you posted.

If it does share the bulbs, there will be separate switch contacts and separate wires going to each of the four corners of the car for signals.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thank you , 

I have a better understanding of the system now .   And seemingly both sides have shorts.  I put a new 10amp fuse in and blew it. I  Got two signal clicks off the left ( good side)  , then she went.  I’ll tone out wiring soon , unplug lamp holders and go from there. All I have is my electrical back Round, which is why I started with that.  The Mechanical  will come with time. 

(Both brakes and parking lights share the same bulbs.) 

thank you for your help,  I’ll update you as I trouble shoot.  Hopefully it’ll help someone else in the future.  

Everett 

• Like 1