Buying A Vehicle With No Title: How Does It Work?

DrumBob

Over the years, most of the cars I've seen advertised locally without title really weren't worth even looking at. There's typically a good reason the current owner never bothered with it, and remember that they had a real financial benefit to obtain one. I spent the better part of a year trying to help a seller with the legwork of obtaining a title so I could own their car; I finally walked away. If they can't get a title...and they've had the thing for years...how is it supposed to be any easier for me? Personally, when browsing ads, I pretend those "bill of sale" cars don't exist. (Of course, I'm talking about my state, where titles have been around for a long, long time.)

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 10:25 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Stay away from large metropolitan DMV's. Dress in well worn clothes with some kind of obvious military memorabilia. Bend your knees and let your back slope forward. Extend your neck like you are having trouble breathing. Let your shoulders droop. Hold your paperwork in front of you with both hands. Don't quote any rules or use DMV specific words. Open your eyes a little in hopeful anticipation and ask "Can you help me with my old car?"

When you are old exploit all the stereotypes.

That's option 1 for a questionable purchase. There are others but only one ploy per office.

If you have a unsigned document and the nice lady at the window asks "Aren't they out in your car to sign it?" You're doing good.

I'll buy anything.

I’ve actually accidentally handed the dmv and a few cops my “VA disabled vet card” instead of my license. When they tell me I say “Oh sorry, I was at the VA hosp recently and must have mixed them up in my wallet”. Works more often than not to get help or out of a ticket. Is it wrong? I gave blood, they give me a break, it works for me!

dave s 

• Like 1