Speedo cable length 1923 Tourer

cutdown

Hopefully someone can confirm this length as my car is at the panel beaters [ 20 kms away ] getting the front guards rebuilt, and my g/box is sitting on my workbench.

My outer cable is 19 5/8 inches from flat end to flat end.  The inner cable that came with it is too short, being only 18 7/8 inches long.

Hopefully someone can let me know the correct length for this car. 

I am having to refurbish the drive as it is very badly worn. { machine shaft and make new bushes }

The shorter cable I had has a crimped bit on the side which engages with the speedo drive shaft.  End on it looks a bit like an old key hole.  Both ends of that cable are the same and both ends engage well with the speedo drive shaft. I will have to go to the panel beaters again to look at what drive end goes into the existing speedo [ which looks original ].

I repaired the speedo drive and refitted it to the top of the gearbox yesterday.

Thanks 22touting. I did suspect the outer cable was correct as it was fitted to box and speedo before I removed it from the vehicle. I had guesstimated that the inner cable might be 3/4 inch longer than the outer. Best to ask eh. I will have to find out where to get another cable made. I haven't seen that type of inner cable end before. [ mostly square ends ]. Its also interesting that the outer cable is a lot larger inside the conventional cables to allow for those larger crimped on ends to pass through.

There was a broken drive piece seized in the end of my speedo drive shaft which I managed to get out.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:32 AM, 22touring said:

On my late '22 tourer (very similar, if not identical, to a '23), my speedo cable housing is 19-5/8", just like yours, and the inner cable is 20-5/8".  Half an inch of cable (the square end) protrudes from each end of the housing. 

see above