1937 Studebaker horn repair

Studebaker1965

Hi Everyone,

I am finishing up rewiring my 37 Studebaker.  I initially had a working horn after I rewired the car.  After trying the horn 2 or 3 times, it stopped working.  

Is it possible to rebuild these or is this a point style horn?  I’m guessing this is the vibrating type horn.  

Also, in this car, the horn button grounds the circuit and you get the horn sound, should I put a fuse in the system?  Am I at risk of damaging my new harness?  There was not a fuse initially in the system.  

Thanks for all your help,

Nate

47F01B9A-0285-4934-A395-9C726A3475FA.jpeg

68DDE526-9D7E-4B8F-92F6-309002DEEA5B.jpeg

BDD4166A-18E9-434B-AF77-6D9DB8DAAC86.jpeg

Unstick the points. Maybe drag some paper soaked in brake cleaner through them to clean the surface a little. That is probably all that is wrong.

Beyond that, that round thing looks like it might be a capacitor. If it is, it probably technically needs replacing, but I would not be in a hurry to do so. See if the horn has a habit of getting stuck all the time, If not, don't worry about it. Figuring out what value (in microfarads) to replace it with would be tough so I wouldn't go there unless necessary.

Horns are hardly ever fused because they are almost a dead short until they start vibrating. They would probably blow the fuse constantly.