judging points

Mike Bartlett

Guest snkchevcol

Mike:

Click on "judging" on the left side of the website's homepage and you will find the entire judging manual there for you to read. I'm not sure that it is the current manual due to the new one only being out for a few weeks now. You should find the answers to most of your questions there. As far as how many points will be taken off for wrong parts or bad paint, it just depends on the part and how bad the paint is. I would highly suggest that you attend a judges school and take the apprentice course at a national meet near you. At the school and apprentice class you will learn the ins and outs of point deduction and everything else you will need to know. Even if you never plan on judging, it is a great way to learn what the judges will be looking for when they judge your car.

Rock

Mike, Rocky is right on - the next school is at Orlando on Friday, March 7, 2:00 PM, at the Orlando Airport Marriott. The apprentice team will do their thing on Saturday morning. You will get a copy of the new Official Judging Rules and Guidelines (no longer named Official Judging Manual). The school is free, but to be on the apprentice team you will need to pay $4 to attend the judge's breakfast at 8:00 AM on Saturday.

Rocky/Ron, Thanks for the great tip about judges school.My problem with the school in Orlando is that I'm on the show field with my Model T as an entrant at 8 AM that morning.I'm just trying to learn how deducted points are arrived at.Do they deduct so many points for wrong wheels or how many would be deducted for wrong steering wheel or wrong top,etc. Is there a chart they use if they found something not original to a car. regards,Mike

Guest Art Griffin

Mike,

Again, some of your questions will be answered when you read the Judging Manual. But keep in mind, authenticity is more important than condition. An incorrect part will lose you many more points than if you have the correct part that isn't in the best of condition. As Ron said, the Judging School is Friday afternoon, so that won't interfere with putting your car on the show field Saturday morning. Many judges will have cars in the show, and they have until 11:00 to have them in place. I would be glad to spend some time with you (and there are others in Central Florida who would do so as well) if it isn't possible for you to get your questions answered. However, the Judging Manual will answer many of your questions.....and you can tell a lot by looking at the Judging Sheet.

Art Griffin

Cape Canaveral Region

(artgriffin@yahoo.com)

Generally speaking, your odds of getting points deducted for something wrong is a lot higher at a National Ford show than it would be for AACA. Due to the size and diversities of the show and its' classes, the judges aren't as well versed as they would be at an all Ford show. As big as our meets are and not knowing what you're going to get assigned to judge, it is physically impossible to become a subject matter expert on every class. In your case, being that you've restored a Model 'T' you probably know a lot more about one of those than you would a Corvette, and a Corvette owner would most likely be the exact opposite. I would still go recommend going to AACA judging school (I haven't been and plan on going myself) but if you have the ability, I would also recommend going to a National Ford judging school to allow you to learn more about your own car.

Yes - the judges have a list which shows the "maximum" deduction for each item. The list is more commonly known as the judging form. You will have that form in your registration packet. The team will take it from you when they get to your car. The judges may take actual deductions from zero to the maximum. This forum could never be a substitute for attending a judging school or reading the Official Judging Rules and Guidelines (which includes copies of the forms).