65 electra, buying underlayment on floorboard

shart

I'm restoring a 65 Electra standard trim level sedan which I hope to have done in time for Flint. On the floorboard underneath the carpet, carpet pad and silver insulation is a layer of what I call underlayment. Its about 1/8 inch thick, is made of a hard black pressed charcoal type of stuff and has a thicker paper layer on one side. It came off in many chunks so I'd like to know where to buy this stuff so I can put it back on the floorboard when I'm ready to lay the new carpet. Also what do you or suppliers call this layer material? Thanks much!

My father's '69 Chevy pickup had something similar under the carpet. Kind of like a thin layer of asphalt-type sheeting with some thin foamy plastic on top of it. Probably there more for sound deadening than heat insulation as it didn't cover all of the parts of the floorpan. I suspect it was used mainly on vehicles which did not have factory undercoating to deaden road noise or gravel hits (as most GM cars of that era were not factory undercoated).

At one time, SnakeOyl enterprises had some for sale. I think you can also find it from some of the aftermarket vendors in the restoration part of things. I think I've seen it in National Parts Depot for Camaros. Seems like 3M and other body shop supply vendors also have some adhesive sheets to apply to the inner sides of sheet metal panels to seal holes and might work for the underlayment deal too. Usually comes in sheets.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467