37 Plymouth P3 door seal install

37 PBC

Usually, a section that has one profile will fit into a channel along the top of the door, from the front beltline to the rear top edge of the door . There should be another profile,  a flat flap type, that will usually mount behind the lower edge of the door upholstery panel and run along the bottom of the door. I've looked through all my catalogs and can't find a definitive part number for the '37 Mopar upper door seal, but my books are older. The bottom seal is the same for '36-'38. Maybe you could post a profile shot of what they sent you for the top; some suppliers will substitute a universal profile that may or may not work as you did not say where you purchased the parts. I have found that in many cases, reproduction rubber parts can be close in appearance and fit but not always made the same as the original. On these cars, the original bottom seal was cast with a metal backer strip for rigidity where it fastened to the door using the upholstery retainers. The repros are all rubber. There should be a cloth windlace that is fastened around the inner perimeter from door sill to door sill that makes up the biggest part of the door sealing system.

Thank you for the reply. 

I got the seals from old Mopar parts , Andy Bernbaum.  There are 2 profiles as you described. I am trying to sort out what direction they mount and which surface. 

On the top there appears to be horizontal recessed area for seal that runs belt line to belt line as you say. Does it mount on this horizontal surface or on vertical surface of door top?

Bottom seems straight forward after your explanation. Large flat part of seal in a slight recess under door panel edge. 

I attached pics of the seals and upper area. Thank you again for the help 

71A92593-C712-461F-A51A-7372C31A9E4D.jpeg

846F3440-23BD-47F4-9C6E-2B043F27BBB4.jpeg

C928FF23-EF87-4ED4-8795-E06CD50BB780.jpeg

86AF5ACE-2870-494A-8828-70DB14963581.jpeg

5DEF8E7D-4B61-4DDB-851D-B7209649C6E3.jpeg

Looking in the 1939 parts book I see in group 24-AO a "bottom door weather-strip" listed for the P3, P4, P5, P6 as a left and right for the 2Dr's and the four doors have four different ones... I see no listing for a upper weather-strip for the P3, perhaps I'm missing something but I would like to think that the upper one would be quite important, could it be called something other than a door header weather-strip or a door opening weather-strip?

Hope this helps,

Dave

STAY SAFE!

The top piece mount on the door top, but I'm not exactly sure which way it faces. you'll have to test fit a piece. Looks like it gets glued on. Since you have a hot rod anything goes now. If you don't have the windlacing around the doors, you may have to get some universal type seal to seal up the sides. To me, the repro rubber doesn't look like it fits as well as the original so it may not work as well as another profile on your car. With the repro seal, don't expect a new car feel or sound. You'll probably find too, that the mounting flap isn't quite long enough to really support the rubber seal. I have to modify mine to fit correctly. As said before, in your case, you might be further ahead to find a profile to glue on the outer flange of the door's perimeter for a better seal. Check out Restoration Specialties' catalog on the web to see a variety of different profiles. They will send you free samples to try. They supply much of this rubber to other suppliers. Hope this helps.

The factory seal is mounted on the front of the door up to the top hinge, the lower piece is just below the door panel. The rest is handled by the windlace on the interior. If you look at the door top, the recess there is to channel water out and down.