Help on Sonomatic radio

Drakeule

Can anybody shed some light on working on a 1940 (980620) Sonomatic? I get nothing from the vibrator when energized, and most things I've read say that if the thing isn't buzzing while in circuit, it's bad., If I look at the schematic, there is very little between the power source (battery) and that vibrator. Any input appreciated!

CD, Potomac, Md.

The 1940 Sonomatic Radio (980620) is built the same as the 1941 model 980650. They both use a synchronous vibrator, model no. 8630. The synchronous vibrator has two sets of contacts instead of one. One set creates the interrupted 6-volt DC which when fed to a step-up transformer provides a sort of ‘simulated’ AC at higher voltages. This AC is then rectified by the rectifier portion of the vibrator to make DC to create tube plate supplies (B+).

These vibrators require a very high working voltage capacitor called a buffer capacitor. In your radio it is a dual (2-part) capacitor (p/n 7236075) made up of two 0.015 capacitors (not electrolytic!) that are rated at 1,500 working volts each. The buffer capacitor is located under a sort of triangular shield that you will see upon opening the metal case. You need to replace those capacitors and the electrolytic filter capacitors at the minimum to get a working and reliable radio. You will also need a good circuit diagram.

There are various ways to restore a non-working vibrator. One involves sending it a high voltage surge. Another involves opening the shell and filing the contacts. These methods are both covered in various videos on YouTube. I will leave you a couple relevant links below. I have not tried either of these since the only Sonomatic I worked on (for my 1941) had a good vibrator.

Reference Book: Servicing the Modern Car Radio, by A. L. Hurlbut, 1946 and 1948

Vibrator Repair, 6-volt, Pontiac (applies to all)

AACA Buick Pre-war forum, discussion on repairing Sonomatic.

Fix That Vibrator, discussion on AntiqueRadios.com about ways to fix a vibrator

To properly repair this radio you really need to replace all the capacitors as mentioned above. This came to about 16 pieces in all when I did mine. I can recommend justradios.com as a good source of capacitors and resistors.

Photos: First one shows two electrolytic caps inserted into evacuated top mounted filter cap ... ready to solder into circuit.

Second photo shows radio with most caps replaced. Note coffin-shaped structure on left. Underneath that is found the 2-part buffer capacitor that has been replaced by two new high voltage poly capacitors.

Third photo is of a repair kit offered at one point on ebay. It included the two caps to replace the buffers (brown drops at top) and some electrolytics. I lost that bid! Good thing my vibrator was OK.

sm Sonomatic filter capacitors replaced.JPG

Sonomatic caps replaced.JPG

RepairKitEbayCapsAndVibrator.jpg

• Like 1

All:

Big help. Makes me want to ask more questions:

Agreed, buffers and filter (10 mmf/20 mmf) caps should be replaced. Filters look like electrolytics and just insert where those honking cans are in my chassis (Roadmaster71; looks like your 1st photo shows just one cap. Correct?)

"Coffin" holds the poly "drop" non -electrolytics, correct? Schematic shows either end of secondary coil going to a reisistor, then to the buffer cap, and finally to ground. So, just make sure each poly connects to ground and solder the 2 other leads where the old ones were, correct?

I hope these questions aren't confusing things! I do appreciate the good feedback so far.

Drakeule … I will have to check the circuit drawing and get back to you. I can confirm that the buffer caps are not electrolytics and they are in the coffin which originally contained one capacitor package that was actually two caps in the same wrapper. I put in those two brown poly drops to replace the buffers. I don’t recall how they were connected. I usually just put the new ones in the same way the old came out. I will check.

I believe there was only one can electrolytic and it contained two capacitors with a common ground ; thus, three leads coming out of the can. I will confirm this.

Do you need a schematic? My copies are not great but better than nothing.

• Like 1

Roadmaster71:

Thanks for the response. I have a copy of the factory installation and operating instructions from Buick which contains the schematic. You explanation of the cap hook up is pretty much as I thought. I am awaiting a NOS vibrator; I do think mine is beyond help. I hooked it up (very momentarily!) directly to the battery and got nothing. I am sure it should have at least buzzed.