Photo - is it a Star?

Peter Gariepy

To: "Peter Gariepy" <peterg@aaca.org>

Date: 02/01/2003 05:18 PM

Subject: Durant Star

Dear Peter ...

I was given your name as someone who might be able to help me identify a car once owned by my father. I am told it is a Star, and would like to know if that is true and what model and year it is. I learned that Stars were built by Durant between 1922 and 1928. I would appreciate very much your help as I hope to use this picture in a book I am writing about my family and want to be sure to identify it properly.

Thank you.

Eldon Kramer

Flagstaff, AZ

star.jpg

The car is unquestionably a 1926 Star. The apparent slanted louvers on the hood are the result of a Moire' pattern caused by overlapping halftones of the original photograph and subsequent copies; the louvers are in fact vertical. It is distinguished from the 1925 by having a straighter visor, and from the 1927 by having drum headlights instead of bowl shaped headlights.

Cheers,

David Grant Stewart, Sr.

28089 Pine Drive

Evergreen, Colorado 80439

(303) 670-1375

dstewart@amnix.com

The car appears to be a six, officially called a Star Six Coach, Model 6-R, 169.2 cubic inch displacement engine, 107" wheelbase, 40 hp @ 2400 rpm, factory color was sagebrush green with gold pinstriping, natural wood wheels, black running gear, tires 30 x 4.95, the usual six volt system with vacuum tank fuel feed. Original price at the factory was $880.

It's hard to differentiate three inches of wheelbase from a photo. This car does look longer and lighter in color than the four. If it were a four, the specs would be: Star Four Coach, Model 4-M, 158 cubic inch displacement engine, 103" wheelbase, 30 hp @ 2200 rpm, factory color was beige brown, again with gold pinstriping, natural wood wheels, and black running gear, but the tires were smaller, 29 x 4.40, six volt, vacuum tank fuel feed as the other. Price at the factory was $695.

But, as I said, I think it's a six.

These cars ranked 10th in sales in the U.S. in 1926, with 125,000 being made that year of all models (Star & Durant).

Cheers,

David Stewart