1952 Power Window Dilemma

West Peterson

I've posted this in the Lincoln forum as well: I've removed and replaced the power window motor from a 1952 Lincoln window mechanism (6-volt, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't make any difference in this situation...????).

The rubber coupler between the motor and the window gear is giving us problems. The motor D-shaped shaft spins inside the rubber coupler, even though the coupler itself looks like it's in perfect condition. The attached photos are representative of what I'm working on, as I didn't take photos of my pieces while I had it out.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 6.58.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 7.01.30 AM.png

With the motor and coupler out of the way, can you turn the shaft in the window lift mechanism by hand or with an electric drill?  The coupler is a torque-limiting device in this application, so if the mechanism won't move either the motor stalls or the motor shaft spins in the coupler.  Of course, if the rubber is old and gummy, it won't transmit much torque before it slips.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This was a common FoMoCo design for many years.

Reproduce? sure, but ask around I bet there are good ones lying in somebody's parts box. 

Heck, I might even have some, but I would have to dig a bit.