1953 dyanflow rebuild?

WillBilly53

Why not do it yourself? Do you have any mechanical background and tools? Transmissions of that era re extremely simple once you understand what does what, and you'd probably put $1,000 in your pocket after the parts, I know I did! There are plenty of rebuild kits available, and the level of expertise really depends on what it's doing or not doing correctly right now. He'res a link to more info:

http://members.aol.com/autotran/dfkits1.html

I'd get a shop manual for the car first, and see if you cna tackle the job. At worst, you have a great bathroom book, at best, take the wife on a cruise with the savings. You will need a few tools though that are readily available and will be used many times again in the future. The key on rebuilding an automatic is cleanliness. One speck of debris in a valve body can cause several things not to work. You will need an air compressor, brake cleaner, a spotless work surface, a clear plastic lure box with 10-20 openings for check balls, springs etc. and some vaseline. Tools would be a digital caliper, for neasuring thickness, taper and depth, some large sockets for seal installation, a large brass punch for removing things such as the speedo drive gear, Compothane (lead shot filled dead blow) hammer and a small machinist's hammer. etc. The biggest problem I see, is the torque tube on the driveline when you install the unit. You'll need some musuclar friends that can be bribed with beer when it's over smirk.gif Hope this info either whets your curiosity or puts it in perspective. The greatest joy I get from cars is what I've learned, and doing what non-car people say I can't do myself cool.gif

Go to car shows and find the people with the old cars.

Ask them who they would us to rebuild the transmission. Probably someone has had to have theirs done. Or call presidents of car clubs in your area.

Usually the kind of shop that will do it will have a guy who grew up with those transmissions and will recognize it right off.

If you think you want to do it yourself, get the Dynaflow service manual (usually found on Ebay). They are much better and will tell you all you need to know about the Dynaflow.

i would like to rebuild it myself, but i have to be honest; i'm not mechanically inclined. i honestly don't have the first clue how a transmission works. thanks for the encouragement though.

i know a couple of guys who collect cars and have them restored. i'll ask around. i unfortunately live in a out of the way area where there aren't many car shows, although charlotte has some stuff everynow and again at the speedway...