33 PD Coupe Pin Stripes

TomP

Need your help to determine where the pin stripes should go and what size on my 1933 PD R/S Coupe, currently prepping the body for epoxy primer. My understanding is that the position were changed during the production on certain models, mine is an export rhd shipped to South Africa, somewhere I have seen a listing  matching body colour to pinstripe colour but am unable to find it yet.

See https://www.ply33.com/Models/PD/#rscoupe for the colors used in the US. Someplace I have a diagram made by the previous Plymouth Owners Club’s 1933 Plymouth technical advisor showing the pin striping location for the coupes. I will try to find it.

However, the export models were often shipped “completely knocked down” with final assembly, including interior and paint, at the foreign assembly plant. In those cases the paint and interior pieces were often locally sourced. So it is possible that the colors available and even the pin stripe location would be different than the US built versions.

Hi Tod, thanks for your speedy reply, don’t know how I missed the colours on your data base, I often visit there when looking for information. This PD is definitely a Detroit build, hope you can find time to locate the diagram. Was said a few days ago to me that positions are different between PD and PE, Jim B has some information on the PE that was compiled by Ed P that states 3 different layouts, I also have a PE which I am restoring but that’s a long way from paint.

82A6F107-71CF-42B2-82BD-896F9E0D08C3.jpeg.95dbcbf844757f4fd49da0fd71bab94e.jpeg

Tom

Interesting that your paint code is 545. I have a different report of a rumble seat coupe with a paint code of 530.

The interesting part is that the paint and trim code definitions have been lost over the years but if you look at the 1934 and up the 500 numbers are usually for gray. And the documentation shows only one gray for the rumble seat coupe.

• So was one car a special color?
  • Was there really more than one gray available for the rumble seat coupe?
  • Did the 1933 paint code scheme not match that used consistently in later years and neither 530 or 545 are grays?

Puzzles.

I am attaching two images. One is from some sales literature, the color of the pinstripe does not match the documentation but maybe the location does. The other is a sketch from a former Plymouth Owners Club technical advisor showing some dimensions.

Edit: Adding photo from period ad showing how pin striping goes at from of hood.

'33 Plymouth Pinstriping Schematic.jpg

'33 PD coupe.jpg

Number111Page21.jpg

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...