The ultimate Woodie accessory

NewOldWood

I have been building wood cars since the early part of this century but actually got started in custom woodworking back in the late 80s building wood sportfishing boats. I built a handfull of Mahogany runabouts before I got into cars but haven't done one in quite a few years. This is a 1937 Gar Wood, on the surface it looks pretty good but underneath is a completely different story. The owner wants many years of trouble free use so that being the case this is going to be a pattern boat. The boat came without an engine and will be repowered with something modern, but that will be the only deviaton from original. Just imagine how cool this would look hooked to the back of your Woodie!!

IMG_4781.JPG

IMG_4782.JPG

IMG_4826.JPG

Garfield Wood, (Garwood) was famous for his boat's, but he made his fortune as the inventor and patent holder of the first hydraulic lift for dump trucks. When coal was the major source of heat in America, coal trucks used a hand crank dump body. His invention was such a success that every truck in America converted to hydraulics and made him very rich.

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

Garfield Wood, (Garwood) was famous for his boat's, but he made his fortune as the inventor and patent holder of the first hydraulic lift for dump trucks. When coal was the major source of heat in America, coal trucks used a hand crank dump body. His invention was such a success that every truck in America converted to hydraulics and made him very rich.

Little known but true!  Also a founding partner along with Chris Smith in the Chris Smith & Sons boatbuilding company, later know as Chris Craft.

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

When you say that the boat will be re-powered with something modern, what does the owner have in mind?

You're making me feel old........Maybe "more modern" would have been better. It will be a small block Chevy, if I ever get it, was ordered several months ago. Interesting that the SBC was introduced 18 years after this boat was built, which was 66 years ago, and that I can still order a brand new one today. Obviously the one I will be using is a significantly updated version, but still.......

Oh yeah, the small block Chevrolet will go down in history as one of the greatest engines of all time. You can probably get parts for them in your local hardware store! If you need a little more horsepower there is a huge selection of speed parts available almost everywhere. Good choice.

N.O.W., what a project, PLEASE keep the pictures coming! I love your hoist set up. Quite frankly, I'm surprised some of the purist's haven't been jumping up and down at the mention of "small block Chevy". What kind of wood will you be using?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gar Wood planked his boats with African Mahogany, so that's what I'll be using. For the frames and other structural parts I am using Ash. As usual, the worst of the decay is hidden below the surface, the bottom frames were rotted badly in quite a few places and had also been subjected to a number of questionable repairs. The keel came out in four pieces. I've seen worse, but this one was definately beyond use or repair.

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4876.JPG

IMG_4879.JPG

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4897.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

Very interesting thread!   How much wood are you going to replace?  How will you paint/finish the bottom when you are finished with the repairs?  I have watched some videos of how they make wood canoes. They cover them with fiberglass fabric and resin. Will you do that to this? These are non boat guy questions. 

16 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

Very interesting thread!   How much wood are you going to replace?  How will you paint/finish the bottom when you are finished with the repairs?  I have watched some videos of how they make wood canoes. They cover them with fiberglass fabric and resin. Will you do that to this? These are non boat guy questions. 

I figure that wood car guys are both car guys and wood guys, so might find this project interesting. All of the wood will be replaced. Not all of it is bad enough that it has to be replaced, but enough of it is that the owner would rather have it all new. The bottom will get an epoxy barrier coat followed by a coat of anti fouling bottom paint. On a couple other boats I have built I have fiberglassed the hulls from the water line down, but will not be doing that on this one.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, Tom Boehm said:

WOW !  Fascinating thread.   When you are finished, the boat must weigh as much as a car. All the new solid wood looks heavy. 

Not as heavy as you might think. Not any heavier, and maybe still lighter than a modern glass boat of the same size, and definately lighter than an early glass boat. Also, anything you might have heard about a wood boat having a softer ride than a glass boat is definately true!

Glad you like it. I'm in the process of planking the bottom now, here are a few shots of what it looked like up to that point.

IMG_4925.JPG

IMG_4938.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4969.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Again, WOW.  Question about the planks parallel to the keel: Is the entire underside  and edge of each plank coated with glue before it is screwed down? Is it the glue that makes it watertight or is it the precision fitting of each piece? I always wondered about how these boats were put together and how they were watertight. Again, great thread. 

On 1/7/2022 at 9:30 PM, Tom Boehm said:

Again, WOW.  Question about the planks parallel to the keel: Is the entire underside  and edge of each plank coated with glue before it is screwed down? Is it the glue that makes it watertight or is it the precision fitting of each piece? I always wondered about how these boats were put together and how they were watertight. Again, great thread. 

It's a combination of glue and fit that seals the bottom, and yes, all wood surfaces are coated with glue. In this case I am using 3M 5200 as the adhesive but I have used epoxy in the past. I have also added a layer of fiberglass from the waterline down on other boats but will not be doing that on this one. Modern adhesives obviously were not available throughout most of the wood boat era. Most but not all boats were built with double planked bottoms, The common practice was to put a layer of canvas between the two layers and soak it in a bedding compound. The bedding would wash out in time and I have read that the manufacturers recommended that the outer layer of planking be removed and the canvas rebedded every other year. I have never heard of anyone actually doing this. Boats back then did not come with trailers. The practice was to put the boat in the water at the beginning of the season and leave it there. At launch they would tend to leak pretty badly and would need to be allowed to "soak up" before they would hold water well enough to be useable. My father had an old Chris Craft when I was born, rather than pay to leave it in the slings he would start it up, take it somewhere convenient and beach it. It couldn't completely sink but would be low enough for the bottom to stay wet and swell up. After a while he would pump it out and he was good for the summer.

When this boat is done it wont need to be treated any differently than a fiberglass boat. Back in the 30s varnish was a twice a season chore. This will get sprayed with an automotive clear which is really about as durable as a gelcoat finish. Kind of the best of both worlds, the look and ride quality of a wood boat without all the trouble and maintenance of the original boats.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Right side up again. The process here will be similar to the bottom, replace the framing and then the planking, except that this time I am going to install as many of the mechanicals before the planking as I can, while I stilll have good access. Climbing in and out of the holes in the deck after the planking is on gets old fast, and I'm not as young as I used to be... Still a few pieces of old wood left in the deck, they will all be replaced.

IMG_5024.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Got the deck framing done except for the engine hatch, wanted to set the engine in first to make sure I didn't have to build around anything. Turned out that my problems were underneath the engine, I did not have room for the steering shaft. The rear mounts that came with the engine were too low so had to source some different mounts. All is good now, have room for everything and have the engine close enough to it's permenent position that I know I will be able to get a good shaft alignment. Exhaust is plumbed and have control cables ordered for throttle and shifter. Fuel tank is installed. I am going to try to get as much done inside the boat as I can before I plank the sides, so much easier to do now.

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5047.JPG

IMG_5048.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG

• Like 1

N.O.W., I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I have never seen that type of exhaust tubing, what is it? Also, how many gallons is the fuel tank. Beautiful job, I hope we get to see the finished project!

1 hour ago, 46 woodie said:

N.O.W., I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I have never seen that type of exhaust tubing, what is it? Also, how many gallons is the fuel tank. Beautiful job, I hope we get to see the finished project!

Thanks! The exhaust is made of stainless tubing and marine wet exhaust hose. I was hoping to be able to get from the engine to the transom with hose, but even the soft walled hose (some of it has a reinforcing wire, soft does not) wouldn't make the bend so I had to use the stainless elbows. The tank is 33 gallon, a copy of the original.

• 1 month later...

Engine hatches are built and deck is faired and almost ready for planking. The cockpit corners need to be rounded but the shape is determined by chrome trim that should be coming back soon. Strut is mounted, so shaft angle is now permanent. Control cables are done. The throttle is pretty straight forward but the transmission is more complicated. The original transmission was all mechanical and the gates and stops were built into it while the current hydraulic Velvet Drive does not have them. I'm not sure how other people have dealt with this problem but this is my solution, works pretty well.

IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5061.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

N.O.W., I know it's your job, but it looks like you are having way too much fun! Beautiful workmanship, thanks for posting those picture's!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

Does all that wood structure on the inside get sealed or varnished?

Everything on the inside will get painted. I have been painting some of the harder to get at places as I go, you can see green paint in a few places.

• 1 month later...

The interior is all built. Now I pull it all back apart, give the bilges a quick sanding followed by a coat of paint, then on to planking the sides and deck. A few minor deviations from the original boat, but that's the beauty of building from scratch, you can get exactly what you want.

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

IMG_5126.JPG

IMG_5128.JPG

IMG_5129.JPG

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

The only major interior job left undone is wiring, the gauges are still out being restored so that's going to have to wait. Have two coats of paint on bilge and framing, the inside of the planking will need paint too, but will have no choice but to crawl in and do that from the inside. Engine is permanently installed, lined up, bolted down and plumbed, only wiring left. Fuel tank is also permanent. Seam battens are (mostly) all in. Time to start fitting the planking.

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

IMG_5137.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

• Like 1

N.O.W. you are an artist my friend. A couple of weeks ago we drove our '46 Ford Station Wagon to Mystic CT. for the "Woodies" and Wooden Boat show. The beauty and workmanship on the boat's was absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine the logistics needed to restore a wooden boat. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The sides are planked. A little rough looking at the moment, I have been plugging the screw holes as I go using scrap from fitting a plank to cut the plugs for that plank. In order to fit the next plank I have to sand the top row of plugs, the top of the planks having been sanded but not the bottom gives it an odd appearance. I have to go back and modify the engine hatch hinges now, and deck planking after that.

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

Is all the hardware original from the old boat or is some new? 

All original except for some cockpit trim pieces of which I needed 12 and only had 10. Turned out to be a good use for the old worn out brass prop shaft. This is one of the new ones compared to one of the original cast pieces. Everything has been rechromed.

IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG