electronic ignition for a flathead

deac

I recently went down the electronic ignition road with my '47 Super Deluxe with a flathead and I am very unhappy with the results.  I am going to install the original Ford distributor with new ignition parts installed tomorrow in hopes of getting the car running!

The unit I bought was the Stromberg e-fire setup.  I followed the advice on the box and installed Stromberg wires and a Pertronix 1.5 ohm coil.  The engine did run on the new ignition parts for about 5 miles then it stalled and it cranked but would not start.  This morning I tried one last time to see if it would start and got a loud bang of a backfire and no start!  My car still has the original 6 volt system and I have found out through this frustrating expensive process that these electronic ignitions don't perform very well with 6 volt systems and 12 volt systems are much better.  These units are NOT plug and play like it says on the box.  Needless to say this has been a frustrating and expensive experience.

I really have no desire to troubleshoot this and I just want a refund.  Anybody else have a experience like me? 

If you posted ahead of time, you would have been given 50/50 advice for and against. I’m of the latter crowd. Low battery voltage on the six volt units cause lots of problems. They built billions of car with points, and they worked well. Going back to stock is always the best choice. 👍