Alvis, Pre war, Speed Models, TA-14, TA-21 and Newer ......Check in here

Posted (edited)

I am checking the pulse of the Brit Car enthusiasts on the west side of the pond and wondering if anyone reading here has heard of or seen any Alvis projects hiding that may soon be available or new purchased?

Al 

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Why yes. The TA-21 LHD you and I discussed on this forum a while back is in the process of becoming mine, as my uncle recently passed. It’s been in a garage but hasn’t seen much use lately and three of the brakes are locked up. I will be retrieving it in a couple weeks, and awaiting the paperwork from the estate.

Could you share pictures of your new family barn find before you even blow the dust off, then in the sunlight. I don't remember the body style and condition. I am trying to locate and purchase a head from a TD or TE to install on my TA-21.

Al

Posted (edited)

Hello Phil, 

Yes, Car and Classic is a good resource. Sadly, Alvis was not imported to the US in large numbers. Those that have come to the US are mostly later models. It is my feelings that we Americans have largely missed out on this quality Marque. I have been patient hunting and have purchased, here in the US, a TA-14 DHC, a TA-14 parts donor car and lastly a TA-21 project, (all right hand cars). It has been a bit painful being required to shop for most all the parts I have needed in England, the exchange rate is not kind and shipping is a bit over the top.  Lastly, I keep hoping that a Speed Model might come out of hiding, here in the US, that I could become caretaker of. What a hobby........

Al

Edited by alsfarms
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 3:38 PM, alsfarms said:

Could you share pictures of your new family barn find before you even blow the dust off, then in the sunlight. I don't remember the body style and condition. I am trying to locate and purchase a head from a TD or TE to install on my TA-21.

Al

As requested. Was over there today getting the wheels to turn

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

• Like 4

Well, indications are it hasn’t been driven much over the last 3 or 4 decades. The son of the original owner, who restored it in the early 70s, told me these are the same tires he put on it then. (His son says it was a two-time class winner at Pebble. He’s sending me his dad’s file on the car.) It went off the radar sometime later in the 70s or 80s. My uncle bought it out of an estate some 15-20 years ago where it had been sitting for a while. He bought a small collection in order to get the Alvis, and gradually sold the other cars off. In 2018 he spent an appreciable amount of money with a shop to have the major systems gone over. It was running well and stopping, but then his health started failing so I’m not even sure if he ever drove it. I was going over there to fire it up now and then, but it was getting harder to see him so now it hasn’t run in over a year.

Last time I started it I think the float stuck on one of the carbs and it started overflowing. Going to clean that out later this week and I think it will run. I’d like to be able to drive it on to a trailer. I have to move it about 60 miles. If I had title already I might’ve thrown some tires on it and chanced driving it!

• Like 1

Interesting story! I would really like to see pictures of the interior as Alvis was generous with wood trim and leather. If you get a chance, take a short video clip on a start up and possible drive. You are probably aware, Alvis is VERY underappreciated here in the US. They are truly one of England's best coach built, (Custom) automobiles. It would be good to know what year your Alvis was at Pebble Beach. We might be able to hunt up some pictures and other information relating to your Alvis. More pictures are good!

Al

Another thought, it is hard to tell from the pictures is the upper body dark blue or black. I like paint scheme used by Alvis. Do you have the rear wheel tire skirts? Being that your Alvis is a two time show winner, the skirts are likely with the car, unless they went missing sometime during its period of hibernation.

Al

Yes, I have the skirts. I only just recently took them off to “service” the rear wheels. If you look again at the second photo (of the left side) the skirt is still installed. Top color is black. Funny you ask as I was told the original color was blue. Don’t know what shade though.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news, chaps. The Alvis has left the building! I cleaned out the float bowls and the needle-and-seats and it fired right up with some fresh gas (has an electric fuel pump on it, too.) The brakes were still sticky (particularly in reverse) but I managed to get it turned around and on the trailer. It is safely relocated. Pressure was on as my uncle had sold the house to the city and it is being torn down. Still awaiting the paperwork 

IMG_0565.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

• Like 2

That is a handsome car. It also looks to be in excellent condition. I have always admired Avila for their quality. I had a chance to buy an Alvis TA 21 back in 1985, when I was in England. I have always regretted not buying it. Good luck with it! Please post your driving experience with it once you have it sorted.

• Like 1

Alvis certainly has a design charm that simply is not found in the US products. The prewar Alvis stuff goes the full gammit from stoick to elegant in design, use and visual appeal. After WW2 Alvis tried to survive with the updated 12-70 now being the TA-14 with its many full custom variants then on to the TA-21 and it's variants as per the pictures above. I like them all, the favorite I am caretaker for is the 1946 Carbodies DHC.

Al

I have a 32 second startup video I did on my iPhone but it is a .mov file, apparently not an accepted file type and much larger than what is accepted here from what I see. Can email to you?

We’re headed to Mad Dogs and Englishmen annual all-British show in Michigan tomorrow. Unfortunately not with the Alvis. However, E-Types are featured so we are driving ours.

Hoping to have the Alvis at British Car Fest here in northern Illinois in September 

IMG_0572.jpeg

Edited by James-Wahl Motors
Added photo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thinking about the your Jag compared to your Alvis TA-21. Both are certainly British and both are most definitely designed for a different market. To me......both has a HUGE amount of charm. The US has nothing manufactured like either one of these jewels.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, alsfarms said:

Thinking about the your Jag compared to your Alvis TA-21. Both are certainly British and both are most definitely designed for a different market. To me......both has a HUGE amount of charm. The US has nothing manufactured like either one of these jewels.

Al

Indeed. The E-Type was lifelong dream car for me. Honestly the Alvis is not really my taste, but it’s definitely growing on me. I also appreciate the small but rabid cult following it has here.

The E is a US market car, 4.2 with dual ZS carbs, 4-speed manual. Ran great for our trip, no issues other than being really hot inside (we knew that - owned since 2007.) 

A knowledgeable friend told me this Alvis has a Jaguar engine (obviously pre-XK.) In brief research I haven’t been able to substantiate this. Thoughts?

Another question. This Alvis is fitted with tubeless tyres, and it appears to have to have tubeless valve stems. Can tubeless tyres be used on these wheels without tubes?

Nice reply and for some good conversation, I will reply. First, Alvis never used a Jag engine. Alvis built their own, whether we speak of the four cylinder cars or the larger and more dynamic six cylinder cars. That is one myth taken care of. Next, you can't compare your full on sports model E type Jag with the full custom coach built for upscale passenger service Alvis TA-21, it is an apples to oranges comparison. The real premiere Alvis is the earlier Speed Model six cylinder Alvis, built for performance driving,  as well as the beautiful and more sedate six cylinder sister Alvis passenger cars. The Speed Model Alvis is a head on competitor with Lagonda, Bentley and other British heavy weights. Be it known, I certainly appreciate and own American products all the way from the model T Ford, Locomobile, Dodge Bros., LaSalle, Pierce-Arrow and to a 1957 Corvette. That said I and my brothers have had a bit of a passion for British also, (part of our English Heritage) owning MG, Triumph, Morris and a favorite Austin-Healy 3000, along with the Alvis TA-14 DHC and the  regal TA-21 sedan. I am curious, what fuel mileage do you get out of your E type Jag? What year is your Jag? I once owned a 1970 big block 4 Speed Corvette roadster, likely a competitor to your Jag. Do you own other British cars?

Al

Oh, yes, you put a smile on my face with your reference to the small but rabbit following Alvis has. You are spot on!!!! Alvis is a custom coach built car built for those people that know and appreciate what it is. Sadly and simply, not a great number were imported to the US so not many auto enthusiasts have even seen one or have heard of Alvis. As a result, Alvis is VERY understated here in the US. Lastly, I am no expert on tire and wheel technology but will verify that my TA-21 now has tubeless radial tires fitted. I have not driven my TA-21 yet so I can't comment on it's handling characteristics with radial tires. I do have parts and pieces to install 60 spoke 16" Jag wire wheels from a Jag XK-120. I just haven't gotten around to that yet. I have nearly enough pieces to mount a similar set on the TA-14, just because I really like wire wheels.

Al

Thanks for the info. The Jag is a 1970. Speedometer cable is broken but going by the map I’d estimate it was getting in the 13-14 mpg range. Mix of about a third interstate and the rest two-lane roads. I thought it did a little better before, but it’s been a while since we had it on a road trip. No other British cars. We had a TR7 convertible. Sold it the morning we bought the Jag. The rest of our cars are American.

• Like 1