Kissel photo ?

LCK81403

I am a major fan of Kissel, even though I do not own one nor can I afford one.  However, I am always on the lookout for new photos and old advertising about the Kissel.  Recently I came across the attached photo of a touring car with a woman behind the wheel.  I may be wrong but there are enough features on the touring car to suggest perhaps a 1924 model.  ?  Notable are bumper, headlights, hood, and (for their time) dual step plates rather than a solid running board.  The second photo was identified as a '24 Kissel.

Kissel poss.jpg

24 Kissel Touring.jpg

• Like 3

Hey LCK81403,

Sorry, but both of these pictures are of Kissel model 6-45 cars, from either 1922 or 1923. They are definitely not 1924 regardless of earlier misidentification. The top car is a deluxe touring, likely 1922 or 1923. The lower car is a Tourster, likely 1922 or 1923.
    Kissel Model 6-45 cars had hood vents as both of these pictures show. These cars had a 123” wheelbase and a Kissel 6-45 engine. Cars made 1924 and a few years after had a Kissel 6-55 engine, and a 121” wheelbase. 1924 and later cars eliminated the hood vent.

Kissel model 6-45 cars, in my opinion, are the prettiest Kissels ever made. These model were made only 1919 to mid 1923.

Thanks, 

Ron Hausmann P.E.

• Like 7

Ron, thank you.  I am happy to have found and now properly identified another Kissel photo and corrected one that has been misidentified.  Unfortunately there is a large amount of misidentified photos of cars and trucks on the internet.

Wow, the 21 Kissel Tourster was unique looking, sort of having a "Victoria" rear section.  Since Kissel was a custom builder, is the particular car in the photo a one-off?  I have never seen this model before.  The windshield does not have the stabilizer rods as does the Gold Bug.

LCK81403

There is only one late 1921 Kissel Sport Tourster that survives and this is it. The windshield is as designed by Kissel for this model, which is much heavier and intricate than the one on a Gold Bug.

The three foot long doors which service both front and back seats were a bad idea, because they stressed the frame so much . They were abandoned in 1922.

Ron

• 1 month later...

No, unfortunately I have never been to the Wisconsin Auto Museum.  I used to live in Arizona but currently live in southwest Colorado.  Hence it is a several day's driving trip to go there.  Perhaps in 2022 I may have an opportunity to do a side trip from Minnesota.