O2 resister

Guest trofeo73

Guest trofeo73

Does any body know what resister rating I need to fool the computer into thinking there is a cat there? I guess the ones they sell are just a plain resister. Any thoughts???????

Why would you need to do that? The O2 sensor on our cars is forward of the cat. and doesn't care what is downstream. If you have problems with the O2 sensor "going out" due to lack of heat, you may be running too rich. One possible solution would be to install a heated three wire sensor, or correct the rich condition. I haven't had a cat. for several years with no apparent problems. Can you get a reading from the BLM or Fuel Integrator?

There were no after cat O2 sensors until OBDII, which came in after Reatta production ceased. No change in the exhaust system would require removal of the O2 sensor, which is critical for proper engine operation. The O2 sensor "simulators" sold in the aftermarket are intended for OBDII cars only, where the cat oxygen storage capacity (effectiveness)is monitored by the PCM. The "simulators" give the PCM a false signal that the cat is working properly to prevent a DTC from setting on these cars.

Guest trofeo73

Actually, its not my car, its my roomates Mark IIIV. He knocked his cats out and has that problem. I am sure the resister is real cheap, if only I knew what it was.

Sorry, I made an assumption. I don't know how the Ford system works but if it similar to ours, there is a reference signal in the wire which is either added to or drained by the O2 sensor. I'm not sure how a simple resistor in the line to ground would do the trick since the amount of current flow in the line as well as voltage would be required to determine the proper value? If he wants to experiment, maybe a variable resistor or potentiometer could be slowly dialed up or down to see if the light goes out. I never tried to measure the resistance of a properly operating O2 sensor, but I would think the value would constanly move around. Maybe Padgett has some idea.