'65 wheel Q

RIVNIK

that "0 replies" notification really bugs me so I'll answer myself.      Sorry Drew, as smart & experienced as we are, none of us has the slightest idea about what to do about your wheel. You should have kept the wood one. So dig your thumbs into that annoying little slot & learn to live with it.       & stop annoying us!                                                                                                                                       Thanks,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Everyone

• Haha 2

I am assuming you mean the plastic gold color inlay in the wheel?  These were used on a number of higher end GM cars over the years.  Depending on the environment, they could last for years or crack and break off in pieces.  I have been lucky as my 65 and 69 had perfect steering wheels.  1965 was the first year these wheels were installed on the Riviera.

There are some companies that specialize in restoring steering wheels so you may want to check one out.  I’m not sure of a DIY way to repair these wheels.