Shimming Problem

Guest Ray Newport

Guest Ray Newport

I have a shimming problem on my 49 Roady. I get a shimming between 60-65 mph(it does go that fast and will hold it), above 65 no shimming. The front alignment is in specs. The tires are bias ply and are inflated at the proper pressure. I don't have a clue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Find a Buick with the same wheel- bolt pattern that does not 'SHIMMY" Borrow his front wheels and give it a try.Sounds tike tire problem, (balance,out-of-round or both).If you were to try radials,you might want to go that route.I remember wnen I drove a 49 Roadmaster,I could feel those bias-ply tires when I slowed down to a little over 60 MPH.

The shimmying problem you are experiencing is a common one. Bias tires are not being made as well as they used to be. I experienced the same problem with my 40 Buick when I installed new tires and found that I had two that were not round. I have driven my 40 over 95,000 miles and knew that something was not right. The problem seemed to get a little worse at 65-70 but my wife complains when I run that fast in the old car, so I had the tires trued,and she doesn't realize I' going that fast anymore. I normally run 70+ on the interstates with my 40 ,so I do not understand why there are so many people that think that they won't go over 60

My buick is a 1940 model 56C and it originally came with a 4.40 axle. I changed it to the optioal 3.9 back in 74 ,and then found out that the rear axles from 1940 to 1955 were interchangable. I then installed a 3.42 from a 55 Dynaflow ,and it will run all day at 70+ without a problem

Guest Ray Newport

Thanks to all that responded, i'll try your suggestions. I was also glad to see that i'am not alone in getting my 49 up 70+ mph. After reading some past post saying that you couldn't run at these speeds for very long.