1950 Buick Super Transmission Question

Kartman01

Folks, I have a puzzling transmission issue which has cropped up on my 1950 Super Estate Wagon. I am hopeful someone on the forum can point me in a direction. It has a Dynaflow transmission.

A couple of months ago the car suddenly would not go into reverse.  I was able to confirm it was not an issue with low fluid or linkage and the consensus on 

the forum at the time was the thrust pad was the likely culprit.

Over the past couple of months the problem seemed to have gone away until today, and just like before the car will not go into reverse (but will drive forward just fine).

One twist to the saga this time: when parking on an incline today, 'park' would not hold.  The car wanted to roll and there was a ratcheting sound as it did.  I ended up using the parking brake to park the car.

Is all of this consistent with a thrust pad issue?  Or is it something deeper in the transmission?  If the latter, who would the forum recommend as a Dynaflow expert to perform a through rebuild on the transmission.

Thanks in advnace for any help!

73472970-770-0@2X.jpeg

It is consistent with the thrust pad diagnosis.   If you have not had that replaced yet you should do so before moving on to a rebuild.  However it would seem unlikely that it was not already replaced and perhaps the bolts may have come loose and you possibly lost some of the shims that are part of the unit.

20 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

It is consistent with the thrust pad diagnosis.   If you have not had that replaced yet you should do so before moving on to a rebuild.  However it would seem unlikely that it was not already replaced and perhaps the bolts may have come loose and you possibly lost some of the shims that are part of the unit.

Thank you JohnD1956, if this is all consistent with thrust pad issues I will try that route first.

Thanks for your insights!