identify replaced engine-1928 chevy coupe

JLP

I acquired a 1928 Chevy Coupe with what I believe is a replaced engine.  I need to identify the engine so I can replace the head gasket and potentially other parts.  I appreciate any assistance in locating codes and/or other means of identifying the engine. It is a straight 4 cylinder 

engine 1.jpg

engine 2.jpg

engine 3.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

Besides the alternator the only other thing I see that is not stock is the breather cap on the valve cover. Unless there has been some replumbing under the rocker cover, would not be needed. Has there been and if so, how about some photos? Normally you would oil the felt pad that lays on the rockers via the holes in the top of the cover and every so often that the cover off and refill the wells around the valve stem bosses along with making sure the felt is well oiled. The springs going up and down splash the oil so it get to the valve stems. There would not be any pressure getting up there from the crankcase. The side covers and rocker arm cover are dust and splatter shields, the rocker arms are a loss oiling system. You are missing the oil filter and plumbing that would have been mounted where the coil is. Can't see what is below the carburetor to tell what is still there, which I hope it is because that is part of the system that fells the rod dipper tray. If there is a fitting coming thru the block and it is capped off, then the filter was taken out of the system and (hopefuly) the internal parts are still there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1928+Chevrolet+engine&newwindow=1&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALeKk00DQLTG6IXNMjZhpwz7lgJYr2Sqxg:1624034392527&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8T_KpVlkQ7UgSM%2CoaFFQwDNkkJ3bM%2C_%3B7PWdvn_aa-ZkdM%2CV0CjS2dfNS6neM%2C_%3BPbYyHaCEulIUfM%2C9NqjE0Fgd_1gVM%2C_%3BRCgISLvMz5Y5OM%2CGjzjUc0anAepcM%2C_%3BZ46bGzESw2gP7M%2CFr6EtI0bsQevFM%2C_%3B8GQpa5vult3VPM%2Cl48oPZo4fVlZ0M%2C_%3B8HOYupQTwKc9fM%2C7MRE6yns-0h7iM%2C_%3BZrVcD1GikRD7CM%2C9NqjE0Fgd_1gVM%2C_%3B0eTXRF-5ZUY9XM%2CH0d5FZDeuNRPWM%2C_%3BxPBwacMh-hGMqM%2ClUwgobmMmPWVlM%2C_%3B6S6baDdHrsnqyM%2CmW2EOn-PpprFQM%2C_%3Bk0-XbTWsFrYmOM%2COKk7qxzbzevTMM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSKN9r4HDQzgbMVRxg7OEGOG6EHWw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjAw8bIz6HxAhVF6p4KHfUcC3UQ9QF6BAgJEAE&biw=1920&bih=899#imgrc=8T_KpVlkQ7UgSM

28 chev.jpg

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you so very much for your input, very informative.  There are some parts in the trunk that looks like maybe a vacuum canister and maybe alternator/generator.  Also have the original vent cap for oil tube.  I am in the process of gathering information on torque specs, gasket materials and any replaceable parts to install during head gasket replacement.  I am hoping the head is not warped along with the block so that I can do a "simple" head gasket replacement.  

Any suggestions as to head gasket replacement part and what other parts should I replace if I do indeed do the head gasket repair myself ?

1928 Chevrolet Specifications

Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum - Forums powered by UBB.threads

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/forums/20/1/1912-1928.html

The Filling Station Chevrolet parts

Unless it is leaking or your going to do a valve job, why would you pull the head?  In other words, don't just start replacing things that don't need replacing just to replace them. :)If there is a fitting on each end, that would be the oil filter.

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

I understand.  What I just found out recently is that the head gasket is leaking and needs replacement.  And also I cannot get the radiator cap off to check water level because it seems like the cap must be rusted onto the radiator and I don't want to cause further damage to the radiator/cap without some thought.  I could take off the upper hose and fill that way to ensure that there is sufficient water level to run the engine for a bit, but with the combo of obvious combustion leakage out of the head gasket and unkown quantity of water I feel best thing to do is gather as much technical information as possible on head gasket replacement.  Including torque specs, what coincident work I should perform if taking off the head already etc. 

Do you have any recommendations on where the best sources of information for the specs I should look ?

As this forum has been such an excellent resource already, thanks to yourself and others on this forum, I was thinking maybe the best action is to post a new thread asking what recommendations from members as to good scope of work to perform since I am going to replace the head gasket.

• Like 1

For Chevrolet specific questions I would suggest VCCA. They did not use torque specifications back in those days. Spray the cap thread with something like PB Blaster. Unless it is a spelter/pot metal cap, it should be brass on brass threaded. You may have to used a strap wrench to take off. It has to come off anyway. Like most of the early cars, maybe you know this, but the water just needs to come over the top of the core.

Resurrecting a '28 4 banger - Vintage Chevrolet Club - Discussion Forum