Buick special 40

Benno185

Hi I am Ben from Germany and I have a 1941 Buick special 40,

my question is give it a way to put the original 3 speed syncromesh  from gm to a Chevy v8?

Or give it a other transmission to put in my 1941 Buick special 40 with the original torque tube?

thanks for help

Hey Ben

You can upgrade to a larger 3spd trans from same year& thru '48. Should be same length but 6bolts in top cover, yours has 5.GM used this trans thru 1960 and other GM divsions almost as long. You will not gain synchronised low gear, but durability is outstanding and first gear has more user friendly ratio. Much easier than other options. Imho. Advise is worth what u pay for it, including mine! Cavet Emptor! PS HAVE A TON MORE KNOW-IT-ALL STUFF ABOUT OLD BUICKS, BUT better to pm so I dont become a mass cure for insomnia!

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Benno185 said:

Hi I am Ben from Germany and I have a 1941 Buick special 40,

my question is give it a way to put the original 3 speed syncromesh  from gm to a Chevy v8?

Or give it a other transmission to put in my 1941 Buick special 40 with the original torque tube?

thanks for help

Are you wanting to put a Chev V8 engine in your 1941 Buick and retain the original 1941 transmission and torque tube/differential?

Why?

Adapting the torque tube is a lot of engineering work and a lot of $$$$$$.

Putting in an open drive shaft-diff-new diif location arms is a lot of engineering work and a lot of $$$$$$. But has been done

Will devalue the car by a lot.

• Like 1