Rear main seal leaking

414TATA

Just asking to get an idea of a reasonable cost to replace the rear main seal. 1941  Buick 248 CI Straight eight.   Pretty sure that's my leak. Still have to get it on a rack and check it out for certain.   My understanding is it's a rope seal.  I'd be surprised if it's ever been replaced.  Just turned 37K original miles today on a 20 mile run. 🙂   Car was built in October of 1940 for the '41 model year so the seal is almost 81 years old.  I won't be doing the job.   About the only thing I'm good at with this old Buick is driving it. and maybe not so much on that either.😊   I'm told the replacement seal can be Neoprene or rope type ,both of which Bob's Automobilia carries.  I'm thinking go with the Neoprene.  Just curious what you guys think is about the right cost for the job.  Either part is  under $50.00.   Oh.. and unfortunately I'm in California just to help with a guestimate. ( probably take the low end cost wise and double it. 😖)  

Wayne 

Wayne, how bad is the leak?  Just a nuisance?  Adding oil every trip?     I am going to say the rope one will be at least 4-5 hours.  The pan has to be dropped.  It can then be replaced if one knows how.

May just be me, but unless you are going to drive it a LOT, or it is in danger of messing up the clutch, I would punt!

Ben

• Like 1

Hey Ben   Thanks for the input.  In my opinion It's more of a nuisance.  Leaving a puddle on the cardboard or plastic sheet I keep under the car in the garage. it's  about 3 or 4" by about 8 to 10" after coming in from a 20 mile run.  It lost a quart of oil in the last about 550 miles . which doesn't really seem that bad to me.  Is it?  I mean I know that's not a good thing .  I'm driving this Buick at least once a week about 20 or 22 miles each outing.   I guess I'm a cheapo but I have to say I like what you're saying better than the repair shops $1,400 estimate. (was him guessing the rear main as it was not up on the rack) Lol   Thanks so much.  I always enjoy your post and responses here.😊

$1400.00 sounds high.  I do know I just removed the pan,  working from a creeper, and replaced it after doing a job in about 5 hours.  IF it is the rear main, I believe I could do it in that time.   Pull the flywheel cover and check.  The engine side of the flywheel will be oily if the seal is leaking. 

Ben

• Like 2