PLEASE HELP

hi can anyone tell me if oldsmobile made a 430?while looking for a motor for my girlfriends 86 cutlass a local junkyard told me they had an olds 430 he would sell me that could be started and checked out by me on the spot, BUT upon doing some research i have seen nothing about an olds 430. could he have meant 403? he seemed like he knew what he was talking about , he also told me all of my accessories from the 307 would swap to the 430. any info in identification or ANYTHING, before i get stuck with an engine i cant use, would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, myles

403"s are still considered small blocks (260,307,350 & 403)The big blocks are the 400, 425, & 455. 403 are small block s(shorter deck height)400 are consider big block (taller deck height)even though the displacment is 3 c.i. less. late 70s Trans Am's with auto trans has 403 olds engines.(6.6 liter).

im sure it has already been posted on here but im new so ill ask anyway. how will i be able to id which motor it is? is there a particular number to look for on the engine to id it? the guy at the junkyard said it was in a 60s dynamic 88 or delta 88?, but whether its the original engine or not is another question, any info on how to obtain this info will be helpful but for now i think ill cruise this site for a while, thanks myles

Olds experts may freely correct me here, but my recollection is that the 403 motor was not introduced until the 1977 models. Therefore, it does not make sense that this engine came from a 1960's-vintage Olds 88. I would suggest that the vendor you're dealing with really is not as knowledgeable as he might think.

ok guys one more question, i went to check out this engine and heres what i found. on the front of the block i found these numbers 389244 D (the D was larger than the numbers), then on the ds head i found a J on the front left corner, above the middle exhaust openings i found 411 783. do these numbers mean anything? if so where can i go to figure out what they mean? any help would be appreciated, thanks myles