Gorgeous NEW wheels for your Reatta, Riviera or other FWD Buick

Hello:

I'm the user "Cardio-doc" from eBay. A member of your site asked me to post. I sell ALOT of gorgeous new or nearly new Cadillac "take-off" rims that will be a beautiful styling update for your front wheel drive (FWD) Buick. These will bolt right on, and provide a beautiful smooth ride as well as great styling. I usually have four or 5 different styles of wheels for sale. Check my list of auctions at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=cardio-doc

Following is some Q&A about who I am and where I get these wheels. Thank-you for allowing me to post.

Cardio-doc

>This guy must own a wheel shop and give great deals on trade in's eh?

REPLY:

(Also, I've been asked, "I mean, how many "2002 Cadillac Devilles" are you removing these wheels from since every ad you have has the same story?")

I do not own a wheel shop.

Have you ever been to South Florida (where I am located)? Ever see what alot of these senior citizens down here are driving? Or the 'flashy-types' by the beach in Fort Lauderdale or Miami? Many of them are driving these 'jazzed-up' Cadillacs with aftermarket wheels, fake-convertible tops, gold treatment trim, and a big aftermarket grill that would make some of the OEM Cadillac engineers and stylists just cringe. Surely you've at least seen pictures of this. They're everywhere. But hey - that's one of the reasons why America is the greatest country in the world - FREEDOM OF CHOICE. As such, the OEM rims come off right at the Cadillac dealer and usually before the car has turned a mile on the road. The irony of this situation is that the stock wheels which are produced to GM and Cadillac spec for quality, balance, and smoothness, are among the best one-piece aluminum wheels money can buy. These people then replace them with flashy aftermarket wheels that frequently are junk, or definitely of lower quality than what is removed. But that's great for us because there is a 'glut' of these 'take-off' OEM wheels and I can buy them at a price and still be able to sell them to ultimate consumers like yourself for pennies on the dollar of what they would cost at the Cadillac dealer's parts counter. I got a quote the other day at the dealer's parts counter, just for kicks - of what they charge for someone who walks in off the street for standard '02 Deville wheels: $607.00 per wheel. Plus $67.70 for the center cap. Now, I realize that you can buy these new for less over the internet somewhere, but not that much less and nowhere near what I sell them for. Further, there are many more rims that are sold to big companies - I only take a small percentage of the rims. So what I'm saying here is, there are ALOT of these rims coming off cars at the dealers here. Since I am actually at the dealers, I can 'cherry-pick' the best rims. Even though they are new 'take-offs', the tire mechanics do SO MANY of these that they sometimes can get rough on the 'take-offs'- its a shame. So I pick out the ones that have been properly dismounted, handled, and stored. In early December, I was in a Cadillac dealer here purchasing some rims that were stored in a tiny storeroom. The rims were stacked 8 rims high, and I saw some new "take-off" rims at the bottom that dated to the mid-90's still sitting there. While I didn't desire those, I did choose a set of rims that was near the bottom of the pile. I was speaking with someone else and my back was turned. Suddenly I heard a terrific crash followed by an avalanche of crashing. I was amazed to see that the person retrieving the wheels - just tried pulling one out from the bottom of the pile. In the process, he unnecessarily marred/damaged about 20 to 30 rims. Obviously I passed on that

whole deal. There was one set of rims out in the garage that had been just removed from an '03 SLS (car still on the lift) and I bought that set and left. Sad story though about how many of these take-off' rims are treated.

I do list alot of these rims and I do re-use the copy in the auctions. It makes the point and its all true. And now you understand why.

>i just wonder how he comes across all these deals and how he can offer some of them for what he does!

Reply:

FYI - my eBay wheel auctions usually end via "Buy-It-Now". Reserve + shipping is usually within $10 of the "Buy-It-Now" price (which includes free shipping). While I have revealed that alot of these wheels come off cars here and that helps drive the price own, they still bear a cost and when factoring in the average final auction price less credit card transaction fees, less eBay listing and selling fees, less the cost of shipping, less the time/effort involved with packing and shipping (this last part is not small, nor easy on my back!) and finally less the cost of the wheels themselves - nobody's getting rich off this; its not like there is alot of profit in the transaction. Beautiful Cadillac "take-off" rims are a product that I choose to sell, but alot of why I even do

this comes from the satisfaction of a job well done, satisfying a customer who is grateful to get these beautifully style wheels in new/near-new condition for a great price, and finally my love of the automobile and of Cadillacs.

>He has a outstanding eBay rating though.

REPLY:

In some 40 to 50 wheel auctions I have run in the past year and a half, I have had only one 'situation' with a customer. So from that perspective, I am grateful at the satisfaction rate. But I wish to make a point here: between that, and frankly - my feedback, I don't deal in misleading people, nor doing wrong by them nor being unfair.

>What a steal! I want the New 17" STS wheels!

REPLY:

Those rims are indeed a rare find. They're a beautifully style and of the highest quality. Pic of a Wheel

Are you telling me that people put aftermarket performance type wheels on their cars and then just leave the OEM wheels at the dealer to be put in the dumpster? It's not like the Sales Manager gives them a discount for leaving the wheels...I find it hard to believe that nobody has the set THAT THEY PAID FOR loaded up into the trunk as they leave. People with money aren't stupid. Plus, some of the wheel sets I see up for auction are OPTIONAL WHEELS... are you telling me that people not only PAY for the wheels, but buy the increased cost OPTION wheel, only to have it discarded at the dealer?? Something ain't right...

The way it usually works, the wheels are part of a package that upgrades the wheels and tires (probably Vogue) The dealer charges $2500 for the wheel and tire package and keeps the factory wheels and tires......

and resells them. Talk about profit.

>Are you telling me that people put aftermarket performance type wheels on their cars and then just leave the OEM wheels at the dealer to be put in the dumpster?

YES! Crazy, eh? But seriously - here's how it goes down: The sales manager specs out a car, either with just wheels and tires, or the full-tilt boogey with the fake-convertible top, gold package, hand-painted pinstripes, wheels/tires, grill, you get the picture. Then they put the car on the showroom floor or on the marquis pedestals around the lot. Mr. and Mrs. Jellychin Gotrocks come strolling in after lunch still with toothpicks in their mouths. Mrs. Gotrocks wants it, Mr. Gotrocks makes the deal, and out they roll in less than 2 hours, usually getting screwed on their trade as well. VERY FEW people even think to ask about the OEM parts, they aren't even part of the picture. If someone wants them, the dealer has the gall to sell them the wheels. Unbelievable.

While the word 'disposal' is used, and the companies that frequently buy the wheels from them are disposal or liquidators, I don't think wheels ever go to the dumpster.

And as for 'performance' - guess again. Maybe one set in 50 sets of wheels I've seen on these cars are true performance wheels from a reputable brand. Usually they are just flashy junk, that will pit within 2 years. They are notably heavier (additional unsprung weight is never desirable), and not nearly of the same quality as the OEM wheels in terms of smoothness of ride, nor overall roundness nor overall quality. Finally, they are much more prone to leak.

> I find it hard to believe that nobody has the set THAT THEY PAID FOR loaded up into the trunk as they leave.

Oh, that's a good one. Nah - NONE of these people want them, maybe 1 sale in 100 cars but probably less than that. But you can be sure to ask for yours.

>People with money aren't stupid.

You're kidding, right?

There are plenty of rich stupid people out there. Then there are many more who are smart but don't know anything about cars and see a finished product and want to buy. Finally, there is the widowed Mrs. Jellychin Gotrocks who trades in her Cadillac every two years - do you think she's really versed on aftermarket vs. OEM wheels? She just sees that Carmine Red Deville with the tan rag-top and the gold wheels and wants to buy it as its sitting on the floor.

Ok, I'll bet that 'some' buyers inquire about the OEM wheels, but when they do - they get a rap about how there are SO MANY wheels taken off (as many as I've said are taken off - the dealers say there are WAY MORE wheels taken off) that the OEM wheels are worthless. But of course - the dealer is willing to SELL them back to you if you want them. Like I said, unbelievable.

>Plus, some of the wheel sets I see up for auction are OPTIONAL WHEELS... are you

telling me that people not only PAY for the wheels, but buy the increased cost OPTION wheel, only to have it discarded at the dealer?

No - I'll give the dealers that. They (almost) always have on the dealer addendum (piece of paper right next to the window sticker with all the pimp-daddy stuff they put on the car) a credit back for optional wheels on the MSRP sticker. It shows as the amount from the window sticker in braces "< >". Again - almost always. I've perused these dealer addendums and not seen the credit for the wheel option from the MSRP sticker but it usually is.

>Something ain't right...

Right about now I'd disagree with you, calling it Free Enterprise and if the customer doesn't want to buy there, he doesn't have to. But I'm going to share something with you now, that REALLY ISN'T RIGHT: Since I'm not naming dealers I feel safe - but please don't go calling GM on this because I don't want to risk blowing my relationships. Ready?

Do you notice, that I don't sell tires? I'd love to sell complete tire and wheel packages but none of the dealers will sell me tires. And believe me, for every set of wheels that comes off - TWICE as many cars roll with Vogue tires. There are many more Cadillacs down here with Vogue tires on stock rims, so you can see that there are even more tires than wheels coming off the new cars. Would you like to know why I can't get those tires? Because the dealers sell them. Why is this a problem? Well - because I know for certain that two of these dealers are selling those tires as BRAND NEW and for insane (typical dealer) prices. These are tires they are essentially getting for free (if you saw what they charge the customer for the Vogue tires - you'd agree that they are paying full price without any credit) and two of these dealers that I know of are selling those same tires for full price. NOW THAT ISN'T RIGHT, because the tires are not brand new. They are nearly new, usually with less than 5 miles on them. But technically and legally, they are used tires (especially since they don't have the stickers on the treads the way new tires do when you buy them at the tire store. So this practice is immoral, unethical, and mostly - ILLEGAL. But I'd be a fool to blow a whistle on that. And if you appreciate the service I am offering to people who want beautiful OEM take-off wheels at low prices, please don't blow this for me by making a big stink with GM over it. But it is happening and it "isn't right."

Ok - so the lesson here? Generally, dealers are greedy. Nothing new there. But where are you going to buy your new car? Are you going to build it yourself? No. If you are in the market for a new car (any brand), arm yourself with all the information you can, make a fair deal and don't pay for any of the lard that dealers offer because no matter what it is - you'll be paying more than what you'd pay if you got it on your own. And this goes for every brand of cars. I love Cadillacs and I'm not here to just bash them, even though there are some unscrupulous dealers. But similar events happen at the Lexus dealer and the BMW dealer and the Mercedes dealer. I just don't deal in foreign cars.

One last note on this: On the dealer's gouging the customer on the wheels - I have to say, I don't have a problem with this. Oh, its easy to just say that this is because that is how I get my wheels. But that's not the reason I don't have a problem with it and I'm not so easily bought off as that. The reason I don't have a problem with it is - again, FREE ENTERPRISE. Free enterprise is one of the things that make this country great. If Mr. and Mrs. Gotrocks are loaded to the gills and they see something they want and just buy it, that's there choice. And its good for the dealer who makes money. Who by-the-way uses that money to pay his employees, run his shop, and god-forbid - make a profit and spend money himself which goes back into the economy. Its called the economy and the more it churns, the better for all of us. And of course - if you don't want to buy his product, you can choose not to. But I certainly do have a problem with the tire sales discussed.

Ok, hope you found this enlightening. Caveat Emptor!

~Doc

I have to throw some bias in here: I really think that the products produced and sold by the "Vogue Tyre and Wheel Company" are over-priced fancy junk. Opinions?

~Doc