1985, not 1986, Rivieras with Touch Screen in dashboard

John_S_in_Penna

Watching a circa-late-1985 video on Youtube, I saw

that a Motor Week reviewer referred to a "limited

number" of 1985 Rivieras with the touch-screen

cathode ray tube in the dashboard.  That would

be the last of the 1979-85 generation, not the

small 1986 version where they are well known.

The video even showed a 1985 with the CRT.

Are these known today?  Were they available to

the public?  Or were they merely prototypes,

not for sale?  Note that the reviewer did not 

mention them as being prototypes.  Do any

still exist?

Here is the video.  The part about the Riviera

comes on around time-marker 5:00.  It would be

an interesting rarity at any of today's Buick shows!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That video is a cool find!

According to various sources, those systems were from 1984 and 1985 models:

"Speaking of new electronics, another rare option that was from the factory was Y93 Cathode Ray Tube. This option indicates one of the 100 cars built with a test version of the Graphic Control Center that would be standard on all 1986 through 1989 Rivieras."

—I've never seen one.

Edited by J3Studio
Better information (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The video didn't specifically say the car with the 

CRT was a 1985 model.  However, since the 

reviewer showed the Century T-type and

the previous-generation Riviera, I figured it was

a 1985.

My thinking is that 1984 would have made more sense so that Delco and Buick engineers would have enough lead time to fix the inevitable bugs in that bleeding-edge technology. Again, that's a great find.

25 minutes ago, J3Studio said:

"Speaking of new electronics, another rare option that was from the factory was Y93 Cathode Ray Tube. This option indicates one of the 100 cars built with a test version of the Graphic Control Center that would be standard on all 1986 through 1989 Rivieras."

J3, where did your quotation come from?

A magazine, or the club's "Riview"?

Buick produced both `84 and `85 Rivieras with the GCC (Graphic Control Center) or CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) option. There are sources which state these were not available for sale to the public but there is evidence these cars were indeed available and sold to the public. Cars so equipped had special rear quarter upper trim interior panels and a decal in each quarter window with the stylized "R" under which was written "CRT Equipped".

There are references to the CRT in the `84 Buick parts book. Also, the `85 Riviera owners manual makes a reference to the option stating that a supplemental operation manual for the CRT option should be consulted for specifics.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Buick produced both `84 and `85 Rivieras with the GCC (Graphic Control Center) or CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) option. There are sources which state these were not available for sale to the public but there is evidence these cars were indeed available and sold to the public. Cars so equipped had special rear quarter upper trim interior panels and a decal in each quarter window with the stylized "R" under which was written "CRT Equipped".

There are references to the CRT in the `84 Buick parts book. Also, the `85 Riviera owners manual makes a reference to the option stating that a supplemental operation manual for the CRT option should be consulted for specifics.

Hah! I was hoping someone would drop in with more/better information. I had (stupidly) not thought of looking at the owner's manual though I have seen some of the 1984 parts book references. I'll update my original response. Sigh …

… thank you, @1965rivgs Does anybody know if the versions in 1984 and 1985 were exactly the same?

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Tom Mooney

I happened upon some documentation that the

CRT touch-screen was indeed offered.

I was casually looking through my 1984 Buick

Product Manual.  In the "Riviera" section, there

is a long list of Available Equipment.  In the

category Special Equipment is item #Y53, which

is the "CRT control center."  The page has a

1/84 (January 1984) revision date, but I don't know

whether it was on any earlier version of the page.

This is entirely different from the digital dashboard,

which is a separate item #U52, the "digital electronic

instrumentation."

Now, how many Rivieras in 1984 or 1985 were actually

made with this rare option?  Has anyone seen one?

I'm surprised that such a distinctive and advanced item

as the CRT is not featured or pictured in the Buick Product

Manual.  It appears to be just an obscure line-item in a

long list.