WTB 1931 Buick parts

Firehawk

Hello all

A friend is restoring a 1931 Buick 87 four door sedan. It was bought disassembled in boxes from estate and now when in final stages of restoration it turns out there are numbers of items missing. He went back to the family he bought it from and they remembered throwing some of the parts away :(

If anyone has parts or knows where to get them  any help is appreciated.

So here are the parts that are needed and questions about them:

1) The rear bumper bars. We do have the mounting bracket and the vertical fasteners. This is the bumper that goes all the way from side to side, not the split bumper.

2) Frame for the rear window. There should be a frame right? The only item we have is the glass. If anyone can tell me how the rear window is mounted I would really appreciate it.

3) Side mounted spare tire clamps. we have the brackets that bolts on to the cowl side but we need the chrome/stainless clamp. Is it the same for other series or GM cars?

4) Headliner and ?fasteners. How is the headliner mounted to the top? Any pictures?

5) Dashboard. We do have the gauges and the gauge plate but we need the dashboard itself.

6) Front shocks or a kit to rebuild ours.

7) Door lock plates/switches. Need three

8) Door sill plates. At least for the drivers door. A good set would be nice

9) Pull ropes with fasteners for gray interior

10) The small piece of molding that is bolted with the cowl lights and covers the gap between the cowl moldings.

11) Everything wiper related except the wiper motor itself

Regards,

Johann

On 3/1/2021 at 6:55 PM, Firehawk said:

11) Everything wiper related except the wiper motor itself

Here is a hard to find piece if you don't have it.  This bracket mounts the wiper motor to the exterior sheet metal above the windshield.  It is a correct Trico piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trico-Wiper-Motor-Mount-Bracket-1931-Chevy-Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac-Chevrolet/154349199664?hash=item23efede130:g:l1IAAOSwj4FgOoxe

The other part you are looking for is this control that mounts inside the car with the on-off switch hanging down from it.  I hope you have this part, if not you will probably want to start looking for it.

Wiper 0011.JPG

Here are a couple of wiper system drawings with parts I made.  The right hand mount consists of  a hand fabricated 12 gauge steel sheetmetal bracket made from the drawing combined with parts cannibalized and modified from a Mac's tandem wiper system that is available, the pivot post I cannibalized is shown in their photo.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/model-a-ford-vacuum-windshield-wiper-tandem-assembly-kit-fair-quality-foreign-made-use-with-inside-mount-wipers-28-16725-1.html

The 2 wiper arms in the second picture are reproduction Trico parts from the Snyder's Model A catalog wiper parts with u-shaped sheet metal brackets silver soldered to the Trico pieces to attach the cross car tandem rod.  Blades and other arm parts are from Snyder's.  I won't get involved in making any of this stuff but am around if you need suggestions.

Wiper 0026.JPG

Wiper 0032 (2).JPG

Motor on the Trico bracket

Wiper 0024.JPG

Right hand wiper pivot

Wiper 0030.JPG

Inside the car, note the wiper switch hanging down from the header below the windshield regulator

Wiper 0040_LI.jpg

Outside view of completed system.

Wiper 0039.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
Add/organize pictures, add descriptions (see edit history)

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it :)

Now that I have seen the parts involved I will go through the boxes one last time to see if I can find any of these.

We will then start to order, search and make parts.

Is the inside control a standard Trico item or is it a GM/Buick item?

And also do you remember which wiper arms and blades you got at Snyder's?
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/Products/model-a/windshield-wiper

Regards,
Johann

Edited by Firehawk (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Firehawk said:

Is the inside control a standard Trico item or is it a GM/Buick item?

I believe the inside control may be a Buick item but I'm not certain of that. 

Black blades here

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/ProductDetail/A-17528-D?fromCategory=Products/model-a/windshield-wiper

Black arms here

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/ProductDetail/A-17530-B_WIPER-ARM-6-3-4-BLACK-30-31?fromCategory=ProductDetail/A-17528-D

On 3/1/2021 at 6:55 PM, Firehawk said:

2) Frame for the rear window. There should be a frame right? The only item we have is the glass. If anyone can tell me how the rear window is mounted I would really appreciate it.

If you are going to get into this car you need a copy of the 1931 Fisher Body manual for closed cars.  Here is a link to a reproduction manual carried by Buick Heritage Alliance.  This manual will show rear window mounting details, describes how headliners are installed, how to shim the body on the frame to get doors to close correctly and a treasure trove of other body related info.  I own a copy of this book and another copy from AutoLit.  The BHA book is good but some illustrations are too dark to give good detail.  The one I got from AutoLit has much clearer illustrations and includes a 1932 appendix.  Unfortunately the owner of AutoLit closed his business in 2019 due to health issues but still maintains a website and suggests if you are looking for a specific piece of literature you use their contact form and if they have it and are able they will respond.

BHA link to manual...

Buick Fisher Body Manual 1931 | Buick Heritage Alliance

AutoLit contact form

AutoLit Store