1922 Cadillac 7 Passenger Roof Brackets

Sunnyjay

Hello, I just bought a 1922 Cadillac 7 Passenger touring car and one item it's missing is the brackets that stick out of the rear of the body to support the roof when it's down. A couple questions:

1) I assume Cadillac used these brackets and they weren't somehow not part of the design of the Type 61 (I think I see the holes for them plugged with buttons).

2) Does anyone know where I might be able to find a set of these brackets?

IMG_6683.jpg

They are called top saddles. Made from two pieces, they have leather straps to hold the top from bouncing going down the road. It will probably be easier to get some photos and make them yourself. Not very complicated. I would use steel for the arm, and a block of brass that you can cut to shape. Buy extra material so you can make a few sets......you will probably toss the first few you make. The saddles are identical and symmetric, the support arm rods are left and right. Cadillac Carl should be able to help you, and he is the go to guy on these cars.

That's Very helpful. Thank you edinmass. Is the shaft that slides into the body smooth? How does it attach to the car?

34 minutes ago, edinmass said:

They are called top saddles. Made from two pieces, they have leather straps to hold the top from bouncing going down the road. It will probably be easier to get some photos and make them yourself. Not very complicated. I would use steel for the arm, and a block of brass that you can cut to shape. Buy extra material so you can make a few sets......you will probably toss the first few you make. The saddles are identical and symmetric, the support arm rods are left and right. Cadillac Carl should be able to help you, and he is the go to guy on these cars.

They usually are threaded bar stock that may or may not have a taper or flange. I'm fairly certain a few people here will respond with photos, and possibly may be able to supply measurements and may even remove on from the car to photograph. Depends on whether or not paint damage may occur. Sometimes the don't have threaded ends.........but it looks like yours probably does.