jacks

i'm getting a garage soon, and i was wondering whether i should start using a full size floor jack or continue with a more compact jack (not those tiny ones, but smaller than a full size). any suggestions?<P>thanks

With a concrete floor, use a bigger floor jack. Easier to operate up and down while being stronger and more safe. Yea, more muscle required to "move it around" but that's the easiest way to function with safety.

Guest Buicklover

Jon,<BR>The large heavy duty floor jack really is the way to go....When you are out shopping for one, don't forget to get a good set of heavy duty jack stands to put under the car to support it when it is off the ground.....<BR>SAFETY 1ST......<BR>Bill R.<BR>BCA # 12434

thanks -<P>i've got the jacks already. any suggestions on brands? i'm thinking in the $70-$80 range, and all i've really seen as far as full size jacks in this price range are craftsman and MVP (walmart's brand, but stores like autozone, etc carry MVP). any suggestions there?<P>thanks again

Just my 2cents worth here.<P>I looked at the craftman at Sears, they had a sale going, jack & stands for around $100. The jack tho was a smaller floorjack. I opted to goto Costco and got a Larin 3 1/2 Ton floor jack for $70. If you get one, make sure to WD40 the casters first. :-) Then I went looking for stands. AutoZone is where I got mine, Larin 2ton stands, a set for around $30 I think. I wish I had gotten the 4 or 6 ton version as they lift the car higher. Hindsite.. <P>The toughest part if figuring out where to put the stands for max lift yet stablilty.<P>I'm with Jon and Bill here. Heavy means sturdy. And boy is it heavy. lol<P>Also rememeber to always block both wheel opposite the end your working on. Do this before you begin to jack. haha.. Personal experiance..<P>Good Luck & Safe Working!<P>Scott<BR>

Just my .02 cents....<P>I am 19, and I'm starting to put togather my tool set.<P>I payed $150 for a Craftsman 3 1/2 Ton jack with 2 heavy duty jack stands. <P>I figure it's worth the price because I'll never have to replace it. All the tools I have been buying are the Craftsman ones.<P>Rob <BR>Coppersmith

I WOULD SUGEST LOOKING AT TOOL CATALOGS TO GET AN IDEA OF WHAT TOOLS ARE OUT THERE SO YOU CAN WORK ON COMPILING A 'WISH LIST'. YOU WILL SEE STUFF YOU MAY NOT WANT OR NEED NOW, BUT AS TACKLE MORE PROJECTS AND YOUR SKILLS GROW,SO SHOULD YOUR TOOL BOX OR BOXES.

Since Tools got in here, I'd like to ask if anyone has and/or uses DuraBuilt tools? Target has a desent 200+ set for ~$60 including storage box.<P>I too purchased the technical equip from Sears, timing gun, engine analyizer, torq bar, etc. But tools wise, it gets costly going craftsman. Other good alternatives must be out there.<P>Just wondering @ 12am. :-)<P>Scott<P>

Just make sure that you have room in the garage fore and aft, if you jack it up inside. I always jack mine up in the driveway, or pull it forward a bit before I chock the wheels. With the newer homes, it's impossible to find a 20+ foot garage. My car barely fits in it. <P>Just a tip.<P>------------------<BR>

Since someone mentioned tools, here's my .02 worth:<BR>I've never once had anyone at Sears question me when I returned a tool. Plus they carry every tool as an individual part, while many other stores don't stock "singles." If you've got a busted wrench or socket from Bench Top (K-Mart) and you go to replace it, you may not be able to because they don't carry singles, only full sets, and they might not want to break up a set, even though it's warrantied for life.<BR>Long after the initial sting of buying quality tools wears off, you'll be happy with them during use. Buy cheap tools, and you'll curse every time a screwdriver tip bends and strips a screw head on the way out, or a wrench stretches it's jaw and rounds off the bolt.<BR>Tip: GearWrenches are awesome, fully warrantied, and worth every penny. And they're cheapest at Ace Hardware or Sears on sale. You won't want to live without them.<BR>FloorJacks: I've got a Craftsman 2-ton floorjack that I bought 13 years ago, and I really want to get rid of it--it looks like hell, and the 3.5-ton wasn't available then. Unfortunately, the jack still works like a champ, holds pressure (I tested it last week by holding a '57 Chevy wagon 6-inches off the ground for a few days), and does everything I ask of it, including things I shouldn't ask. It just won't die, which irritates me because I'd like to get a new one that goes full lift on one pump until it hits resistance, then works like a regular jack. What brand do you suppose I'll get?