Cleaning an intake manifold?

Guest oldtimer

it all depends on what you want it to look like. sandblast it and paint it to look new, install it as is. as long as the mating surfaces are clean and straight.

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Estate Wagon,<P>It depends what you are trying to achieve.<BR>The easiest way to clean the outside is to sandblast it, or have it done.<P>I have done that and also have used a wire wheel on my drill, obtaining the same results, with more effort.<P>Once brushed or blasted, clean it with a solvent like laquer thinner. Only handle it with gloves after that, and then paint it.<BR>A many light coats are much better that a few heavy ones.<P>P.S. Be careful with the wire wheel brush, <BR> be sure to wear eye protection, and a<BR> breathing mask.<P>Scott

As a note, I'd have it glass beaded as opposed to sand blasting it. You can remove a lot of base material with a sand blaster in the wrong hands. Never sand blast an aluminum intake.<BR>If there is a chemical stripper in your area, that's the most effecient way to do it, and it will get all surfaces clean, inside and out.<BR>If it's not rusty (I'm assuming this is an iron intake), but is just grungy and grimey, Castrol Super Clean and a toilet brush are hard to beat. Just don't get the stuff on your hands. <BR>-Brad

Most of what has been mentioned relates to what you can do at home, which is fine, and works well for either aluminum or cast iron manifolds.<P>If the manifold is cast iron, you can take it to a local automotive machine shop and have them put it in their cleaning vat overnight. But this is where the distinction of the type of metal is important as aluminum will dissolve in the vat and also "kill" the solution in the vat also (the machine shop people don't like to have to drain and recharge their vats if they don't have to). Cast iron works fine as the solution is basically oriented toward cast iron objects (blocks, heads, etc.).<P>There also is a type of cleaner that is kind like an industrial sized washing machine with jets of hot liquid clean instead of a soak tank. These cleaning methods should take care of any of the deposits on the outside of the manifold and also everything on the inside of the manifold. In the case of the exhaust heat crossover passage, it might need to have any residual deposits chipped out of it. <P>Both the vat and jet spray machines can do a better job than sandblasting to clean the total casting. Glass beading or media blasting are good alternatives to sand blasting, but those operations would necessitate a good wash to make sure the inner surfaces are free from any dust they might have created.<P>In some cases, it might even be cheaper to let the machine shop put the parts in their cleaner than buying the equipment to do it yourself and then taking the time to do it. Just depends on where your priorities are.<P>After the casting (whether aluminum or cast iron) is cleaned, be sure to degrease it and paint it very soon. I have had good results using spray B-12 as a cleaner and brake clean should work well too. Hopefully, you will have the correct engine paint to put on it, but any engine paint is better than no paint. Then, it'll be easier to repaint in the future with the desired color.<P>In any case, be sure if the casting is cast iron or aluminum before any cleaning procedures are started. As mentioned, use apapropriate safety measures if doing the cleaning yourself.<P>Enjoy!

• 7 months later...

I have an intake manifold from a 322-V8 I want to clean up. I asked about this today around town, and this guy says to soak it in diesel fuel.<P>Interesting response, and I found it not so convincing. But if there's a 2nd opinion out there that agrees, I'd like to hear from you! Thanks.