1930 Buick pattern request

Erndog

I am finally getting back into the restoration of my Model 30-61 after a hefty hiatus, one of many. Since I am now retired and have sat on my butt for the requisite 2 years I must get busy.

While some broken rear fender bolts are soaking in penetrant (so I can fit up my new I figured it is a good time to finish fleshing out the Front Body Hinge Pillars I made several years ago (this is a TOTAL re-wooding project). The originals were severely rotted, so I didn't have a perfect pattern for either side. Well, I got started about two hours ago and realized that I screwed up some dimensions pretty bad. I am not sure if I can salvage them (yes, both sides are screwed up) or if I will need to start over.

I looked in my parts book and discovered that all 1930 Series 60 Buicks used the exact same Front Body Hinge Pillars.

That being said, if anyone out there has good measurements/details/drawings, etc. for the Front Body Hinge Pillars could you please either post them or send to me in a message? I would be forever indebted to you.

Sure would be nice if I could go to the dealer and buy them for the original price of $7.00 each.

BTW, I was lucky enough to acquire a full set of factory replacement door wood for 1930 four door Buicks many years ago and am saving them for a rainy day. Woo hoo! Don't come across that very often.

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

It looks like your old right side post is in pretty good shape, except for the top maybe.  Which dimensions do you need and do you think a ‘31-60 would be the same?

I had a partial old post rotted on top and bottom and just had to improvise- waited on making those final cuts until I could wait no more.  By then I pretty much knew how they needed to be.

I have never seen any factory drawings with dimensions but I bet they existed. 

5CC9EA29-ADA2-488B-814E-6AD90731C763.jpeg

7B6EB18D-C843-4E67-8367-2A642F3D857B.jpeg

7EF5AE23-0C26-4E3B-AF4B-1691FCA53799.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks, Joel. Great photos. Oddly enough, my parts book does not list this pillar for any 1931 60 series vehicles except for 8-66, 8-66S, and 8-67. Under the Model and Job Number Reference Chart, that is also the case. What was your job number? Any chance it was considered one of the 80 or 90 series cars? I suspect they are nearly identical to the 1930 pillars, since the cars underwent very minor changes. By the way, does the lower brace get recessed into the sill. The previous owner had scabbed pieces of plywood into the front section of each sill, so I have no clue.

Ernie

Edited by Erndog (see edit history)

If you can figure out that we are dealing with the same part then I can help you with dimensions or more pictures. 

I recall that these two posts were very difficult to make work.  From what I could tell, the original wood was installed before the windshield metal was welded to the cowl.  This means that you cannot simply duplicate the original piece and “slip it in.”  It sort of “rolls” in after you remove some corner wood that is completely hidden once installed.  Most definitely the toughest two pieces I made, even worse than the pieces that had no old wood left.

I think that if I was again faced with this I might try to stop the wood post at the bottom of the windshield and then modify the upper using metal welded in for the upper hinge and for strength. It would take some head scratching to do this but it took me days to get those posts right.

Thanks. I see your part number now and it is different. Whether there were differences or just the change in year, who knows? From what I've seen in various peoples photos, that front section of the sills seems to be a common area for rotten wood. Maybe the heat of the engine plays into it, or just the splashing of water from the front wheels. or both. My money is on the wheels.

Joel, I don't think I will have the same issue with installation that you did. There is no welded upper metal section for the sides of the windshield. The cowl stops pretty much at the top of the dash and aluminum pieces are nailed on above that to make up the shape and appearance.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Erndog said:

Thanks. I wasn't sure because all the others are.

Erndog, you are correct and for the record I need to simply say that this is the way I did it and it may well be incorrect. So, I went and checked the old rotted sill and there isn’t anything left at that point that would indicate that the brace was recessed or wasn’t . I then checked the old post and it wasn’t recessed there in the vertical position.  Like you said, all other braces (six others) are indeed recessed and if I had it to do again, I would very likely recessed it (about 1/8”) for that reason alone.

3 hours ago, Erndog said:

Sounds good to me. Does the wood extend at all below the bottom of the cowl or end flush with it?

I ended the wood at the bottom of the sill after coping it into the sill and securing it with a screw and glue.  There is a separate piece of wood (thin like about 5/16”) glued and screwed to the bottom of the sill along the outer edge to accommodate that metal cover that is at the bottom of the doors.

• Thanks 1

Update on front hinge pillar to sill brace recessed/not recessed question. I have been spending the day going through my Fisher Body Service Manual for the 100th+ time looking for clues and advice. On page 51 regarding this brace it says, "In its installation, the flange where the brace is secured to the sill is sunk, to leave clearance between the brace and the toe board brace which overlaps it." So, I guess I'll recess them into the sill.

• 1 month later...