64 wildcat convert. latch gm part number needed???

Todd H

I was trying to find a part number for you, Just havent run across it yet.I have a 64 lesabre conv.And have noticed that alot of the small trim parts are the same as a 64 Impala. Im shure this is true with the top latch. Hopes this helps. Tim

From what I found when researching my '68 LeSabre convertible, in '68 (and I suspect the same is true with other years, typically) there were just two sizes of convertible tops for all full size GM cars. The "smaller" one went on Chevys, Pontiacs, LeSabres/Wildcat, and Delta 88s. The "larger" one went on Olds 98s, Buick Electras, and Cadillacs. Within each version, most everything (i.e., weatherstrips) would be the same in many cases. Think of it this way, the longer wheelbase higher level cars need a longer top assembly than the shorter wheelbase lower level cars.

When I was looking about body mounts, the LeSabre mounts in '68 were also Chevy parts too. Other things, like door weatherstrips and such would be specific to a given car line, though.

Therefore, as there is much typically listed for Chevys and little for Buicks or others, there is more interchange there than many vendors would admit to or be aware of. In the case of the latches, the base latch would probably be the same among all of the carlines, but the handle on the latch might be unique to particular car lines.

On my car, the hook on the latch is worn a little but still works. I probably need to do some more research to see if some of the more readily available items for other GM convertibles might be similar.

Hope this helps . . .

NTX5467

Hi Guys

Part number for the 64 Wildcat convt Locking latches are 4813716 Rt. & 4813717 Lt. Parts book shows that these are the same from 1961 -64 full size Buicks

For the 68 LeSabre, The "J" hook # 5716613, fits 1965-1972 All convts, All GM vehicles should be the same. The Locking Latches # 776258 rt, & 7762259 lt.

fits 50/60/8000 Convts.

The Cadillac handles are some what diffeent and will not fit other GM Vehicles.

The Sunshade locking brackets for the early 61-64 GM vehicles are reproduced but quite expensive. The only locking latches being reproduced are the 1971 and later GM vehicles, Very expensive.

I have several sets of the Locking latches for the 65 -70 cars, and some excellent used "J" hooks.

Hope this helps.

Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com smile.gif