What Style is a '66 LeSabre considered? A?B?C?

Guest Teamsterdug

Guest Teamsterdug

I have just become the proud owner of a '66 LeSabre but know nothing of how the classifications work on these 60s cars. I see styles termed as A,B or C on the BCA home pages. Can someone tell me what the differences are? Does this designate particular models, options or what? This is my first "newer" Buick. Thanks in advance for any help. confused.gif

The "classes" you mention refer to the General Motors body shell designation. For 1966, Buick used the following body shells. I have noted in parentheses the other GM cars using these body shells. In many -- but not all -- cases, window glass, rooflines and inner body structures were shared among GM models using the same body shells. Each division had unique exterior sheet metal and engine/chassis engineering. Hope this helps.

"A"-Body: Special, Skylark (Chevelle, Malibu, Tempest, LeMans, GTO, F-85, Cutlass, 442)

"B"-Body: LeSabre, Wildcat (Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala, Caprice, Catalina, Executive, Bonneville, Grand Prix, Dynamic 88, Delta 88, Starfire)

"C"-Body: Electra 225 (Ninety-Eight, DeVille, Calais, Fleetwood)

"E"-Body (I think!): Riviera (Toronado)

Teamsternip, please do not confuse the GM body series designation with BCA judging classes as they are two totally different things. The LeSabre is a "B-body" as Centurion noted.

The only place I have observed that vehicle platforms are referred to as "class _" is in heavy duty trucks were a certain "class" of truck relates to its weight carrying capacity and related SAE generated specificaions for minimum horsepower/torque, brake sizings, etc. in that particular "class". In the automotive and light truck (up to one ton ratings), the vehicles are mentioned with respect to their "_-body" (for cars) and "_-truck" (for the light duty trucks). For example, your '66 LeSabre would be a "B-body" Buick and a '66 Chevy 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive pickup would be a "C-truck" Chevy. Since '66, there have been some additonal body series designations for the cars just as there have been for the light truck vehicles too.

Hope this might clear things up a little . . .

Best wishes for a great New Year to all!

NTX5467

Guest Teamsterdug

NTX5467...Thanks for pointing out the difference between BCA "class" and "body styles". I see now that they are two very different things. Centurion was absolutely correct in his definition of my LeSabre as a "B" BODY STYLE and your point is that the BCA judging class is an entirely different designation. I appreciate the clarification. Good catch. Thanks for picking up on that.

Good point, NTX5467. Generally speaking, B and C Body cars are grouped in the same BCA judging class for their respective years. Teamsternip, I apologize if I failed to understand your original question.

Regardless, '66 LeSabres are very, very attractive cars. Congratulations on your recent acquisition!

Guest Teamsterdug

Centurion, actually you did very well to be able to see past my wrong use of the term "class" and get to the real question of what body style the LeSabre is. Thanks to all for the help. Now I get it. Thanks for the compliment on the car too. It really is an attractive model.

Guest Reatta1

Teamsternip, congrats on your acquisition of a 66 LeSabre. I think it is the best looking of the 60's models in either the 2 dr hrdtp or convetible. I've enjoyed mine for many many years. Purchased it in 68 and have no intention of ever getting rid of it. Do you have the '400' version? If so it will have the 340 engine and 400 transmission, a very potent combination of power and fuel economy for those years. grin.gif

Guest Teamsterdug

Reatta 1..Thanks for the kind words of support and the congo-rats. The '66 LeSabre I just got is a 4dr sedan with the "400" package. I know that most people like the 2doors and convertibles and I can understand why but I just couldn't pass this car up. It's an extremely low mileage original survivor. (see attachment)I've only had it for a few days now and even though it's winter in Chicago I just had to take it out for a test run. The 340c.i./4bbl really does have plenty of power. I dropped it down into L2, punched it and SCARED myself!

Guest Reatta1

That's a mighty good looking car and original hub caps too. I put Riviera wheels on mine many years ago but kept the original wheels and caps. My convertible started out a 2 dr hrdtp. Interesting story, but won't bore you with it here unless you are curious. grin.gif

Teamsternip, there is certainly nothing wrong with the four-door sedans, and they are definitely a more unique sight at the vintage car shows. Your car looks exceptionally clean and nice. Those spinner wire wheelcovers were a fairly rare option in '66, so that's another unique aspect of your car. My third-grade teacher drove the exact model and color combination '66 LeSabre for many years, so your car brings back many memories of school years long gone by.

Guest Teamsterdug

Centurion..The smiles and the memories! Hearing that is great. After all, isn't that the bottom line of why we do what we do in this hobby? Thanks. grin.gif Happy New Year!