1909 Brush Model BC followed me home last week.

rustranch

I'm so glad you bought the car. You have done a supper job on restoring the car it looks beautiful. I have aways wanted a Brush. Back when I was in high school, 75 I had $3600 cash in my pocket to bid on a 1908 Brush at an estate auction. It sold for $4000. I still want one. I just saw one listed for $15,000 but I was too late. You have done a great job.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is my retake on a dash engine oiler which I will call Ver. 2.0. When I put together my first one I had no idea of how it worked. And only a vague idea of how it should look. I now consider that one a big failure and it’s parts have been reused in Ver 2.0. 

I considered reproducing via lost wax casting the correct style brass body. That idea fell through due to a house/shop move and just not have time. Thanks to eBay I sourced a smaller size sight / level gauge. I proceeded to slice and dice them into many smaller pieces using a hack saw. This included the brass bases, both end caps and various other fittings. Thus ending up with a rather daunting pile of smaller pieces parts. I silver soldered, also called hard solder, the pieces together according to my vision. Then using a piece of .375 (3/16”) bright steel rod I fabricated an extension to the needle valve I already had. 

Having previously removed the damaged and smaller brass hood handles while straightening and saving most of the original bent and mangled hood. I installed a set of larger brass hood handles that fit my hands better. I reused the small originals handles by cutting them into many small pieces and brass welded them back together in a new configuration. They became two anti shimmy shake clamps for the unsupported ends of the oiler. It’s also protection from a passenger accidentally bending it with their foot. 

Now I’m sure it will be the source of many a commit on this forum as well as at car shows in the coming years. I know it’s doesn’t look anything like an original but luckily there’s not many people who know what it should look like. It does look a wee bit steampunk though, yet this one functions correctly, which is more important. I like it, it’s my toy, nuff said. 

0BDE8592-1EC3-433A-BBF8-48DF81DC0E2C.jpeg

0045C214-9ACC-4C4F-AD43-A69D256E788B.jpeg

7D30FC92-CFE1-456F-B4A9-A886F4240C3B.jpeg

91C3ADFF-B407-4D3B-BE6B-D6C661952DA6.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I felt compelled to finish off this story of my 1909 Brush Runabout revival project. Here’s what I started with. Insides of the transmission gone. Motor missing piston, valves lifters and the crank was frozen in the crankcase. Little else remaining was good except it had all four screw on hub caps. Here’s what I start the story with when someone ask about it. “It was an amalgamation of mismatched years, models, broken and completely worn out pieces parts!”

ED1879AF-2F31-4808-B5D0-0BABA606331D.jpeg