1956 Century trans cooling lines in '55

Weirdly beautiful day today in Many-snow-dah. After 2-3weeks of early winter, we caught a break and hit a record 74 2day and Momma was at work! So, decided to tackle installing my new Inline Tube pre-bent transmission cooling lines! Nicely reproduced, but had to do quite a bit of disassembly to get the lines through from the front/radiator shroud area to the fittings on the 1956 dyna trans. Finally got the lines thru and by the sheer power of will, (snow forcast for Tuesday), that'll put a skip in yer ol step when workin outside! Anywho, Im sure Ill be sore in places I forgot were there tomorrow, but satisfying knowing some joints still can contort that much! Can U say Ibuprofen? Was impressed with fit of tubes. Glad I didnt hafta try bending steel tubes that diameter as I went. 1955 with 1956 dyna trans, so next step is to research coolers as no cooler in bottom of radiator on 1955. Ive read the remote coolers are more effective than the bottom tank of the radiator. So, traditional oil cooling little radiator in front of existing main radiator or streetrodder style aluminum finned kinda round thing. They sell in various length, but how to gauge size needed. I see them mounted on inside of frame rails and such, but wonder, with no fan running to cool them how they cool  when car is stopped or rolling along slowly in summers heat. From anyone whos had experience thanx in advance! Greg20201107_145207.thumb.jpg.d8e0f6927fa1d54508e7366254d110e8.jpg20201107_145249.thumb.jpg.b5c411ef623b4bd208b7eccb25525430.jpg

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

IMG_20160227_140145.thumb.jpg.ee668103b582e8e0b89056a68f8aa0f2.jpgAnyone know what clips secure the cooling lines on a 1956 Buick where they run next to the side of the engine. Im guessing clips or brackets are supposed to keep them from rattling against things? Generous friend stopped by with spare cooler today. Will install in front of radiator. Time to remove from jack stands and test operation after all this time! Details to follow!20201109_175003.thumb.jpg.67acf8cf02c7f3cc37f5417cd8ab35f4.jpg20201109_174924.thumb.jpg.115475a3cca6bfe77d5a00f936d17aa9.jpg

• 2carb40 changed the title to 1956 Century trans cooling lines in '55
  • 3 weeks later...

Working outside on trans cooler installation today and man, was it cooler out! Anywho, since I havent found gloves that dont confustigate  my manual dexterity, have to work fast to avoid them getting to numb to function! No, all the spaces I heat are filled with 39 Buick. Cooler installed! See photos if interested. Next radiator hoses, Auntie freeze, battery, hang garden tractor gas tank, CONTACT, and hopefully, start engine again after long sleep and test the grand plan of 56 dyna in 55 Century. Details to follow! COLD? 35 AND BREEZY AINT COLD HERE! He said between chattering teeth! Added the 2nd pic to remind me which Buick! Heehee.

20201129_131311.jpg

IMG_20150501_193620.jpg

Looks like you have the trans cooler under control.    

Too late for you but if you go to the truck section of pick-n-pulls.... lots of trucks have auxiliary transmission coolers, on my GMC it is part of the towing package. 

They come in many shapes and sizes and around here are usually $15...... flush them out and you have a bargain cooler.

As a side note,  how hot does transmission fluid get?   If car manufacturers send the cooling lines to the radiator to cool,  then the fluid temp must be well over 180 as the 

radiator is going to be above 160 during normal driving.    By running cooler lines to a auxiliary cooler,  you are now in ambient air (seldom above 100) which is much cooler than 

the radiator.    A side benefit ....you are not putting that hot transmission load on the radiator so everything should preform better. 

FluidChart.jpg

• Thanks 2

Your info confirms what Ive been finding researching this subject. Luckily the planets aligned when I was helping neighbor move. He owns an auto parts store and when I mentioned my trans cooler project he replied," too bad we didnt talk yesterday, I just packed one of those I dont know where till I unpack" Next afternoon a knock on the door, free trans cooler as thanx for my help! Woohoo! That "Karma" thing maybe?

• Like 1